Labor under fire over Metronet submission
THE progress of Metronet projects, including rail to Yanchep, created conflict between State and Federal politicians last week.
Pearce MHR Christian Porter issued a statement last Tuesday criticising the State Government after a Senate estimates committee revealed Infrastructure Australia had not received full business cases for Metronet projects.
“The submission of a business case to Infrastructure Australia is critical to ensure the Yanchep rail project is managed and executed in the most efficient way,” he said.
“It now seems that progress on Yanchep rail is being threatened because Labor still have not submitted the critical business case.”
Infrastructure Australia and Transport Minister Rita Saffioti both confirmed last week that preliminary business cases for Yanchep and Thornlie rail projects were submitted in August.
“The WA Government is undertaking further work on cost benefit analysis and land use planning to finalise the business cases for these projects,” an Infrastructure Australia spokesman said.
Mr Porter said the Federal Government had committed $792 million for Metronet projects and it was disappointing the State Budget did not include funding for the Ellenbrook rail line.
Ms Saffioti said the business cases would be delivered in multiple stages, with final submissions expected early next year.
The conflict stemmed from a Senate estimates discussion in late October, when Senator Slade Brockman asked about Metronet.
“We have some preliminary information on Yanchep and Thornlie, but we haven’t received the full business cases yet as they are being worked on,” Infrastructure Australia chief executive Philip Davies said.