Forget she’ll be right mate, safety comes first
FOLLOWING are 10 standard common sense rules for farm safety:
1. Train and empower your employees.
2. Play it safe with quad bikes, wear safety gear and fit rollover protection.
3. Make sure the PTO shaft is securely guarded at all times.
4. Always make sure someone knows where you are.
5. Don’t wear loose clothing around equipment or machinery.
6. Conduct regular equipment inspections.
7. Consistently educate your family and co-workers about safety practices, especially children.
8. Be familiar with hazardous chemicals - take extra precaution when handling chemicals such as anhydrous ammonia, carbon dioxide, methane gas and hydrogen sulphide.
9. Make sure that your protective equipment is approved by national and industry standards.
10. Be sure to keep equipment at least 20 feet from any overhead power lines or wires that support poles when driving on roads, and watch out for potholes, ditches and steep hills.