The Best Lemon Cake Ever
• 150g butter, softened • ¾ cup white sugar • 1 tsp vanilla extract • 2 eggs • 1½ cups flour • 3 tsp baking powder • Zest of 2 lemons • ¾ cup milk • Juice of 2 lemons • ½ cup icing sugar
1. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
2. Sift flour and baking powder in to the creamed mixture along with the lemon zest. Fold the wet and dry ingredients together until just combined.
3. Stir in milk, adding more if needed, to reach a medium consistency; easy to stir but not too sloppy!
4. Bake at 180°C for about 40 minutes until springy to the touch.
5. When the cake is almost done, heat lemon juice and icing sugar in a pot until sugar is dissolved. When the cake comes out, stab it all over with a skewer then pour all the liquid over top.
6. Leave the cake in the tin until cool, then serve as is, or iced with lemon butter icing. For extra lemony decadence, you could decorate with spoonfuls of lemon curd. +