Pear and Chocolate Crumble
• 5 pears, peeled, quartered lengthways and cored
• Zest and juice of 1 lemon
• 1 tsp vanilla essence or ½ tsp vanilla paste
• 100ml water
• 175g brown sugar
• 100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
• 100g butter
• 200g flour
• 100g oats
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºc.
2. In a saucepan over a medium heat, combine the pears with the lemon zest and juice, vanilla essence (or paste), 100ml water and 100g of the brown sugar. Allow the sugar to dissolve into the water and become slightly caramelised before removing from the heat. Transfer to a large ovenproof dish and scatter the chopped chocolate over the top of the pears.
3. In a food processor, whiz the butter, flour and remaining sugar so that the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Turn out into a bowl and use your hands to rub in the oats. Scatter over the pears and bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes until the top is nicely golden brown.
Extracted from Everyday Strength: Recipes and Wellbeing Tips for Cancer Patients by Sam Mannering and Karen Mcmillan (Beatnik Publishing, $44.99). Photography by Sam Mannering (recipes) and Sally Greer (authors).
“Choose a good dark chocolate to offset the sweetness of this dish.”