Swans celebrate win and home grand fi­nal

Pilbara News - - Front Page - ■ Peter de Krui­jff

South Hed­land Swans’ Jesse Simp­son em­braces An­thony Kyanga as the fi­nal hooter sounds over Windy Ridge Oval and the Swans celebrate se­cur­ing a home grand fi­nal in the North Pil­bara Football League af­ter beat­ing the Dampier Sharks 15.6 (96) to 10.10 (70).

The South Hed­land Swans have won the right to host this year’s North Pil­bara Football League grand fi­nal af­ter a five-goal up­set against this year’s mi­nor premier’s the Dampier Sharks.

Last week’s cru­cial round saw the Sharks lock up the com­pe­ti­tion on point dif­fer­en­tial, which gave them the ad­van­tage of a home semi­fi­nal against the Swans on Satur­day night.

A big crowd turned out for the match with spec­ta­tors around the side­line of the whole oval.

Swans had plenty of met­tle and lim­ited their op­po­nents scor­ing chances to be trail­ing 3.2 (20) to 3.4 (22) at the first break.

There were more in­jury wor­ries which cropped up for the Sharks in the first quar­ter, with the loss of for­mer De Grey medal win­ner Lewis Up­ton to a sus­pected knee in­jury and Ash Emery was thrust into the mid­field off the bench for the rest of the match.

Swans opened up the game in the sec­ond with a scor­ing bar­rage of six goals to one.

Kur­tis Geary grabbed his big­gest bag of the sea­son with four goals while re­turn­ing for­ward Steele Viti, who has missed the past few games, chipped in with three and some well-timed spot kicks into the goal square to team­mates.

The third quar­ter was as phys­i­cal as you would ex­pect a fi­nals match up to be, with some of the big­gest hits seen all year.

Sharks’ Ryan Hawke cel­e­brated a big goal in the third, pump­ing his fist and mo­tion­ing to the Sharks sup­port­ers to get amped up.

The Swans’ ball pres­sure rat­tled Sharks’ com­po­sure at times in the third quar­ter. Although the home team snagged another three goals, the Swans were well in front with four of their own, push­ing the mar­gin out 13.4 (82) to 7.8 (50) go­ing into the last quar­ter. There was plenty of ur­gency from the Sharks in the last, but they couldn’t stop Swans scor­ing and left their charge too late, go­ing down 10.10 (70) to 15.6 (96). Swans will take the week off to face the win­ner of the Dampier Sharks and Wick­ham Wolves from this week’s pre­lim­i­nary fi­nal in Dampier.

Pic­ture: Peter de Krui­jff

Pic­tures: Peter de Krui­jff

Dampier Sharks’ Jason Cox kicks the ball into his team’s at­tack­ing 50m.

South Hed­land Swans’ for­ward Steele Viti lines up for goals.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.