Hot 40 incentive a ‘flop’: Opposition
■ A $10,000 incentive to boost the sales of vacant regional lots in WA didn’t elicit a single sale in the qualifying period, the State Opposition says.
The Hot 40 rebate scheme was launched in February this year and offered between $2000 and $10,000 for land settled from the south west to Kununurra before April 30.
The Government spent more than $24,000 promoting the campaign but, as cited in Parliament, changed market conditions caused a significant downturn in the sale of vacant lots in regional WA.
Shadow minister for lands Peter Tinley said the program had been a flop.
“It was supposed to help families and businesses realise their dreams of owning a home or business,” he said.
“If the Liberal-National Government is serious about attracting people to regional WA, it would focus on creating more employment opportunities, particularly in non-mining industries.
“As the mining industry slows down, it’s important to diversify local economies and provide new employment opportunities.
“This is the best way to create growth in the regions.”
Minister for Lands Terry Redman said four years ago in a place like Karratha everyone was crying out for more land and housing.
“You put in a process to release land, to build houses, to open up apartments … and it takes time for that to happen,” he said.
“I don’t apologise for Landcorp trying to put in incentives for people to take up land, it’s important they look at all opportunities to do so.”
Mr Redman said the market had softened but people were still buying.
“We’re still seeing activity happening, just not as fast as it was happening before,” he said.