Dog treated af­ter gob­bling up 2kg of cook­ing choco­late

Pilbara News - - News - Jon Sol­mund­son

We’ve all been guilty of a choco­late binge, but that rarely ends in an emer­gency plane trip, as it did for one Mid West sta­tion pooch who bit off more than he could chew.

Boolardy Sta­tion res­i­dent Carolyn Halleen found the fam­ily dog Field Marshall Mont­gomery, or “Monty”, in the back­yard among a field of choco­late wrap­pers ear­lier this month.

Mrs Halleen had been cater­ing at the nearby Murchi­son Ra­dio astron­omy Ob­ser­va­tory, but with her term of em­ploy­ment fin­ish­ing up last week, she had to move all her sup­plies back to the homestead.

Be­cause of the mas­sive work­load and short time­frame, a few cor­ners were cut and the huge sup­ply of cook­ing choco­late, which should have been locked away in the cool room, ended up sit­ting next to the pantry — a mis­take Mrs Halleen.

Mrs Halleen said she would not re­peat this mis­take.

While the fam­ily slept, Monty seized his chance for a king-size mid­night snack.

“He’s a labrador — what more can I say,” she said.

“When I’d found all the pack­ets, I tal­lied up the to­tal amount. “It was 2kg. “I think I’d be in in­ten­sive care if I had 2kg of choco­late.”

By a stroke of luck, Mrs Halleen heard the sound of aero­plane en­gines while on the phone with the vet.

Ger­ald­ton Air Char­ter chief pilot Wendy Mann was fly­ing in the ob­ser­va­tory’s sci­ence team, as she does ev­ery Mon­day morn­ing, and, re­al­is­ing this was her chance to get Monty some emer­gency care, Mrs Halleen ran over to the plane to ask if Monty could climb aboard for the re­turn trip. Ms Mann was more than happy to help, fly­ing Monty into town in just an hour, when driv­ing may have taken more than four.

“He hap­pily sat in the back and thought he was ab­so­lute roy­alty,” Mrs Halleen said.

“I’m a lit­tle sur­prised he didn’t poke his head out the win­dow and wave.”

She said af­ter one night at the vet, Monty was do­ing much bet­ter, and ready to come home.

“Since he’s got back, he’s brought me a few ex­tra pack­ets of choco­late that he must have hid­den away, but he hasn’t opened them,” she said.

“I think he just re­alised he was in big trou­ble, so he’s try­ing to fix things as much as he can.”

The RSPCA warns choco­late is toxic to dogs and ad­vises im­me­di­ate vet­eri­nary treat­ment.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.