Be scared but stay safe at Halloween
The tradition of wearing costumes at Halloween has been around for centuries but it’s some of the more recent dressing-up trends that give Consumer Protection cause for concern.
We need parents and carers to be aware of hazards.
Children can suffer severe burns or death if clothing they are wearing catches fire.
Capes and draping sleeves are often made of synthetic material and a naked flame, such as a candle in a pumpkin, could cause the fabric to ignite.
Generally flammable items will have a “high fire danger, keep away from fire” warning sign on the packet.
There is a mandatory labelling standard for children’s nightwear in Australia. Take note of the advice.
Flashing items with button batteries
Woolworths has recently issued a national recall of spinning ghost and pumpkin Halloween wands because they can crack open, causing the button batteries to fall out.
It’s common for children under five to be taken to hospital emergency departments after swallowing button batteries, which can get stuck in a child's throat and burn through the oesophagus within two hours.
Products like flashing witches noses, devil horns or earrings might not be aimed at young children but that doesn’t mean they won’t get into tiny hands.
If a child swallows a button battery do not let them eat or drink, do not make them vomit and seek immediate medical attention.
You can also speak to The Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26.
Report products you think are unsafe by emailing consumer@ commerce.wa.gov.au or phoning 1300 30 40 54.
Infants or children can be exposed to chemicals if glow sticks or bracelets are chewed on or broken.
The fluorescent liquid contents may cause irritation to the eyes, skin or mouth.
Don’t let children chew glow bracelets and do not cut them off.
Make up / fake blood etc.
There needs to be cosmetic labelling in English on face paints or crayons, nail polishes, temporary tattoos and general make-up.
Check ingredients and make sure your child is not allergic to anything in the product.
Novelty contact lenses
A prescription is not required and there is no age restriction on purchases of novelty contact lenses. However, certain pre-existing conditions can mean contact lenses are not suitable for some people.
Even if there is no medical reason to avoid using them, a professional testing session with an optician is advisable.
Follow any safety and care instructions and ensure lenses are sterilised with appropriate solution before putting them in.
Never share lenses with someone else.
Further product safety information about all of these products is available at product safety.gov.au.