Bulgarra fire ‘suspicious’
Police are investigating a suspicious fire that gutted a Karratha house on Sunday, January 15.
According to police, the fire began in a vacant Department of Housing property in Withnell Way, Bulgarra, at about 7.45pm.
They believe the house was being used by itinerant people and the fire began when a mattress caught alight in the front lounge room.
Department of Fire and Emergency district officer for the Burrup Luke Mitchinson said the house was “fully involved” when DFES crews and police arrived.
Firefighters managed to contain the fire after about 45 minutes and stop it spreading to surrounding properties, including two units adjoining either side of the house.
The property was gutted by the blaze and Mr Mitchinson said the estimated cost of damage was $300,000.
Mr Mitchinson asked residents to report people staying in vacant properties to authorities to avoid associated safety risks.
“A lot of these houses are the older ones around town, and there’s the ongoing issue of asbestos and demolition to the surrounding neighbours,” he said.
“Because these are unoccupied properties, a lot of them don’t have smoke alarms and the like so we rely on the neighbours to ring triple-0.”