Rake as­sault ac­cused nar­rowly granted bail

Pilbara News - - News - Ali­cia Perera

A young Roe­bourne man who al­legedly as­saulted two peo­ple with a rake in a brawl has nar­rowly been granted bail.

Michael Ken Wayne Wood­ley, 18, ap­peared in Kar­ratha Mag­is­trate’s Court via video link last week charged with griev­ous bod­ily harm and as­sault oc­ca­sion­ing bod­ily harm over an al­leged fight in Roe­bourne in De­cem­ber.

It is al­leged that while tak­ing part in the fight, Mr Wood­ley re­trieved a metal rake from a yard and used it to hit a man and woman in the group.

The young woman, who was al­legedly struck on the back of her head, was taken to Nickol Bay Hos­pi­tal and later trans­ferred to Perth with a frac­tured skull and bleed­ing on the brain.

Mr Wood­ley’s de­fence lawyer said his client was plead­ing not guilty to both charges.

He said he in­tended to ar­gue his client had been com­ing to the aid of some­one about to be killed.

Mag­is­trate Ed­ward De Vries said he was grant­ing Mr Wood­ley bail “by the nar­row­est of mar­gins”, based on his youth, lim­ited record, so­cial sup­port and a likely long wait for trial. The bail is con­di­tional on him stay­ing out of Roe­bourne town other than to at­tend com­mu­nity cor­rec­tion pro­grams.

Mr Wood­ley also pleaded guilty to three other charges of steal­ing, bur­glary and pos­sess­ing cannabis and was fined a to­tal of $1200.

His next court ap­pear­ance will be on May 3.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.