Council will disband after resignations
The Shire of Exmouth council will be disbanded after a majority of councillors resigned last week following a meeting with the Local Government Minister.
Shire councillors were suspended for six months in early January by then-local government minister Paul Miles in the wake of a Corruption and Crime Commission investigation into claims of misconduct at the Shire, and were scheduled to undergo governance training with the possibility of being reinstated soon after.
However, in the days following a meeting with Local Government Minister David Templeman last Monday, four of the five suspended councillors tendered their resignations.
The council will now be disbanded in exercise of the local government minister’s legislative powers.
Mr Templeman said he welcomed the resignations as a step which would allow the Shire to move forward after the CCC inquiry.
“On May 29, I had a very productive meeting with the existing councillors at the Shire of Exmouth in which I expressed my concerns about how they could go about restoring confidence in the community they were elected to serve,” he said.
“I appreciated that they recognised, for the benefit of their town, that we needed to move forward.
“I have today received welcome advice that four councillors have tendered their resignations.
“I would like to thank them for putting the best interests of the Exmouth community first and believe this is a significant step in restoring the confidence of the Shire’s residents and ratepayers.“
Mr Templeman said he would request that Shire of Exmouth interim commissioner Ian Fletcher, who was appointed to govern in the councillors’ place during their suspension, continue on in the role until local government elections in October.
Shire president Turk Shales, who resigned last week, and former Shire chief executive Bill Price, who was dismissed after the CCC investigation.