Home­work cuts has­sle from home ren­o­va­tions

Pilbara News - - Pilbara | Lifestyle - Gwyn­neth Hay­wood Gwyn­neth Hay­wood is the se­nior re­gional of­fi­cer for Con­sumer Pro­tec­tion.

Is a new kitchen on your home im­prove­ment menu for 2017? You will need to get the in­gre­di­ents and prepa­ra­tion right to avoid a recipe for dis­as­ter.

When hir­ing a kitchen ren­o­va­tor you should ob­tain as many writ­ten quotes as pos­si­ble to com­pare price and value. But first you need to se­lect con­tenders for the project.

Ask your friends, fam­ily and so­cial me­dia con­nec­tions for rec­om­men­da­tions and have a look at pre­vi­ous work done. Con­sider in­dus­try-ac­cred­ited trades­peo­ple and those who have ref­er­ences you can re­view.

It’s nor­mal to work from a 3D de­sign, which you can cre­ate your­self, or you may have to pay a small fee to the kitchen ren­o­va­tor, which is usu­ally redeemable from the to­tal cost of the job.

Get obli­ga­tion-free quotes in writ­ing, so the to­tal cost is clear. Make sure it’s a “quote” rather than an “es­ti­mate”, which can change as the job pro­gresses.

Con­tact de­tails, such as a phys­i­cal ad­dress, should be on the quote as well as the ABN, which you can check at asic.gov.au. Look for re­views for that par­tic­u­lar trades­per­son or busi­ness. Also type the names into the search box at com­merce.wa.gov.au to see if Con­sumer Pro­tec­tion, the Build­ing Com­mis­sion or En­ergy Safety have is­sued any warn­ings or taken any ac­tion against them.

Do not pay large amounts of money up front when you’re not re­ceiv­ing any­thing in re­turn.

You are prob­a­bly look­ing at work in ex­cess of $7500, cov­ered by WA’s Home Build­ing Con­tracts Act. This means it is il­le­gal for a con­trac­tor to take more than 6.5 per cent de­posit for the job. If they ask for more you should de­cline and speak to the Build­ing Com­mis­sion.

If you’re buy­ing the ma­te­ri­als and sim­ply hav­ing the kitchen fit­ted, it may be un­der $7500. If that’s the case we strongly sug­gest you don’t pay more than a 10 per cent de­posit for work yet to be com­pleted.

See whether you can use a credit card to pay to give your­self the pos­si­bil­ity of seek­ing a charge back (trans­ac­tion re­ver­sal) from your bank if you do not re­ceive what you paid for. When you pay by cash or bank trans­fer, you don’t have this op­tion.

Get a writ­ten con­tract with an agreed time frame for the start and com­ple­tion of work and any progress pay­ments for ma­te­ri­als de­liv­ered etc.

Un­der Aus­tralian Con­sumer Law it is an of­fence to ac­cept pay­ment for work and then not com­plete it as agreed, or within a rea­son­able time frame.

Dur­ing kitchen ren­o­va­tions there are cer­tain jobs that need to be done by li­censed trades­peo­ple.

You have the right to ask for proof a trades­per­son is li­censed and can some­times get a cer­tifi­cate for the work.

You should in­spect the work and progress, so you can spot is­sues be­fore they get out of hand.

If you have a prob­lem with a ser­vice provided by a trades­per­son, or have paid money and are fac­ing an un­ac­cept­able wait for the job to be fin­ished, email con­sumer@com­merce.wa.gov.au or call 1300 30 40 54.

Con­trac­tual dis­putes for home build­ing work val­ued at more than $7500 will be re­ferred to our col­leagues at the Build­ing Com­mis­sion (1300 489 099) along with com­plaints about faulty or un­sat­is­fac­tory home build­ing work, ir­re­spec­tive of value.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.