Census reveals our population
Who is the average Pilbarian?
32 years old. The average Statewide is 36, Australia-wide, it was 38.
Has a total personal income of $1462 weekly.
Their family has a total income of $2907 weekly.
Their mortgage repayment sits at $2600 a month. If they rent, they pay $189 a week. The average household size is 2.8 people.
Who lives in the Pilbara?
46,532 people live in the Pilbara (Mining and Pastoral) State electoral division.
57 per cent of the people living in the area are male and 42.6 per cent are female. Statewide, the split male to female is 50/50.
24 per cent of Pilbara residents were born abroad.
72 per cent of Pilbara residents are Australian citizens.
16 per cent of Pilbara residents are Aboriginal and/or Torres Straight Islander. This compares to the total Statewide figure, which sits at 3.1 per cent.
23 per cent of Pilbara residents (the largest group by age) are between 25-34 years old.
The Pilbara has just 57 residents aged 85 and over, and only 215 between 75 and 84.
172 residents said they hadn’t gone to school, but 32 per cent of residents completed Year 12 or equivalent.
Where have people born abroad come from?
Kiwis top the list of foreign-born Pilbara residents, with 1618 of their number joining us.
Next up are the Poms, with 766 residents saying they came from England and 135 from Scotland, while 151 were from Ireland.
531 people joined us from the Philippines.
South Africans were the next most populous group with 303 people listing their place of birth there.
267 people ticked India as their place of birth.
What religion are we?
Christianity, of all types, tops the list with 20,009 people saying they follow a sub-set of the religion.
Next up is the Islamic faith, with 680 people saying they followed the word of Allah.
674 people ticked Buddhism when asked about their faith.
There are 441 followers of Hinduism in the Pilbara.
226 people said they aligned with Australian Aboriginal Traditional religions.
15,850 people said they had no religion, while a further 8318 people either did not state their faith or didn’t describe it adequately to be counted.
What kind of relationships are we in?
30 per cent of men living in the Pilbara are married, while 32 per cent of women are listed as married.
14 per cent of the men in the Pilbara are in de facto relationships, trailing women by 2 per cent, with their total at 16 per cent.
There are 250 men who listed themselves as a lone parent, compared with 825 women.
Men listed as a “lone person” came in at 10 per cent of households, but women came in at 5.5 per cent. The age group with the highest level of singletons, both male and female, was that of 25-34 years old.
Our car habits
The average Pilbara dwelling has two cars parked in front of it. More than 930 dwellings had four or more cars, with a further 1918 listing three vehicles residing there. More than 4000 households had two cars and 3164 had one car. Only 629 dwellings had no car attached to them.
What kinds of houses do we live in?
The vast majority of us, 82 per cent, live in a separate house, but the next most-common dwelling type is a semi-detached home with 9.3 per cent of us live in that type of dwelling. 6 per cent of us live in a flat or apartment, while 321 people live in a caravan, 34 in a cabin or houseboat and 77 in an improvised home such as a tent or sleep-out.
At the time of the count there were 5367 unoccupied private dwellings in the region, making up 31 per cent of the private housing stock.
When it comes to homeownership, 765 dwellings were owned outright, a further 1384 were owned with a mortgage, while the vast majority, 9360, were rented.
Of those properties with a mortgage, more than 260 required monthly repayments of $4000 or more. Another 293 had mortgage repayment requirements of between $3000 and $3999.
More than 80 per cent of homes have internet access, while only 65 dwellings have six or more bedrooms.
How much do we earn?
42 per cent Pilbara residents enjoy a weekly income over $3000 gross, 7 per cent manage on less than $650 gross weekly income. In comparison, the WA figures have 18 per cent of residents on the lower income level of less than $650 a week, and 19 per cent enjoying the upper income bracket of $3000 a week.
Characteristics of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander households:
It is the first time these statistics have been gathered.
The median age in these households is 25, which is markedly below that of the Pilbara average of 32.51 per cent of this population were male and 49 per cent female. All statistics from the Pilbara (Mining and Pastoral) State electoral division level.