Do or die for Sharks, Kats

Pilbara News - - Front Page - Pic­ture: Tom Zaun­mayr

Grand fi­nal footy will de­scend on Wick­ham next month af­ter the Wolves de­feated the Sharks in last week­end’s semi­fi­nal. The Sharks will take on the Kar­ratha Kats this week­end af­ter the reign­ing pre­miers knocked out the South Hed­land Swans with a 10-goal vic­tory.

The Kar­ratha Kats kept their ti­tle de­fence am­bi­tions alive with an em­phatic 10-goal vic­tory over the South Hed­land Swans at Mil­lars Well last Satur­day night.

It doesn’t get any eas­ier for the Kats though, with a pre­lim date with Dampier Sharks at Windy Ridge this week­end.

The Sharks have got the wood over the Kats in their pre­vi­ous two en­coun­ters, though the Kats have hit a hot vein of form, boot­ing 43 goals in their past two games.

On a warm even­ing in Mil­lars Well, it was the Swans who looked the goods out of the blocks.

The vis­i­tors took mere sec­onds to get on the score­board and were camped in their for­ward 50 for the open­ing min­utes.

The Swans looked pa­tient in at­tack while the Kats strug­gled to set­tle into a rhythm.

Chances for the Kats were few and far be­tween, though they made use of coun­ter­at­tacks with ac­cu­rate kick­ing to stay in the game.

The op­po­site could be said for the Swans.

While they had the field po­si­tion, their radar was miss­ing, with two straight­for­ward set kicks reg­is­ter­ing be­hinds. The Kats could con­sider them­selves lucky, go­ing into the break in the lead 4.0 (24) to 3.3 (21).

Af­ter a dress­ing down by their coach in the break, the Kats came out in the sec­ond a dif­fer­ent team.

The home side were first on the board in quick time, and their small for­wards proved ef­fec­tive in punch­ing holes through the Swans’ de­fence.

As the tide turned the goals came eas­ier. The Swans’ woes were ex­em­pli­fied by a Shaun Der­schow goal.

Der­schow re­ceived the ball right in front of goal af­ter it was passed through the hands of three un­marked Kats for­wards.

By the main break, the score­line had blown out to 11.2 (68) to 4.5 (29), and an­other five goals in the third term all but booked the Kats pre­lim­i­nary fi­nal date.

As the game fell out of reach the Swans found them­selves fight­ing for every cen­time­tre of ter­ri­tory, only to be frus­trated by smooth tran­si­tions for­ward from the home side when the turnovers were made. The Swans man­aged to pounce on a flat-footed Kats mid­field to open the fi­nal quar­ter, but the dam­age had been done.

Der­schow proved a ball mag­net all night, bag­ging four goals.

Matthew Tamm also kicked four for the Kats.

The Kats re­serves booked their grand fi­nal date ear­lier in the night, with a nail­bit­ing five-point win over the Kar­ratha Fal­cons.

The home side got off to a flyer but were reeled back in by the Fal­cons, re­sult­ing in a tit for tat fi­nal term. The Kats held their nerve to win the game 9.7 (61) to 9.2 (56), with Daniel Farmer boot­ing three ma­jors.

The Fal­cons will play the Wolves to de­ter­mine who will take on the Kats re­serves in the fi­nal.

Pic­tures: Tom Zaun­mayr

Jack Cop­pin de­liv­ers the ball to the for­ward line un­der pres­sure.

Ethan Sur­rall kicks on the fly.

Ryan Roznoczny grasps the ball at full stretch.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.