Groups must reg­is­ter

Pilbara News - - Lifestyle - Gwyn­neth Hay­wood Gy­wn­neth Hay­wood is the se­nior re­gion of­fi­cer for Con­sumer Pro­tec­tion.

Are you a mem­ber of a club or group?

If it is a reg­is­tered as­so­ci­a­tion, do you know if it has lodged its an­nual in­for­ma­tion state­ment?

We are com­pil­ing a list of as­so­ci­a­tions that may be de­funct as they have not been sub­mit­ting an an­nual in­for­ma­tion state­ment and ap­pear to have been dor­mant for 12 months or more.

The rea­son as­so­ci­a­tions and clubs are re­quired to sub­mit an in­for­ma­tion state­ment to Con­sumer Pro­tec­tion ev­ery year is to con­firm the as­so­ci­a­tion is still ac­tive, el­i­gi­ble to be in­cor­po­rated and has held its an­nual gen­eral meet­ing.

If an in­cor­po­rated as­so­ci­a­tion has not sub­mit­ted its in­for­ma­tion state­ment, we will have to pre­sume it is in­ac­tive, which car­ries the risk of the in­cor­po­ra­tion of the as­so­ci­a­tion be­ing can­celled.

If the in­cor­po­ra­tion of the as­so­ci­a­tion is can­celled, it is no longer a le­gal en­tity, which may cause prob­lems.

If you are a com­mit­tee mem­ber or of­fice bearer of an in­cor­po­rated as­so­ci­a­tion that has not lodged its in­for­ma­tion state­ment, we urge you to do so.

Sub­mit­ting the an­nual in­for­ma­tion state­ment is not a big un­der­tak­ing and doesn’t cost money, it can be done in the time you might take to have a cuppa and there are no lodge­ment fees.

Lodge­ment of the in­for­ma­tion state­ment can be com­pleted on­line through our web por­tal, As­so­ci­a­tion­sOn­line.

We even have a help­ful video to ex­plain how at com­merce.wa.­fos­tate­ment.

You should make sure you have the fol­low­ing in­for­ma­tion ready to com­plete the state­ment:

The as­so­ci­a­tion’s cur­rent ad­dress for ser­vice (this can be a street ad­dress or a PO box).

The date of the most re­cent an­nual gen­eral meet­ing.

The to­tal rev­enue for the last fi­nan­cial year.

You will also be asked to con­firm:

Whether the as­so­ci­a­tion has at least six vot­ing mem­bers.

The as­so­ci­a­tion’s main pur­pose, such as ed­u­ca­tional, sport­ing, recre­ation or re­li­gious.

Whether the as­so­ci­a­tion is reg­is­tered with the Aus­tralian Char­i­ties and Not-for-profit Com­mis­sion.

It is not nec­es­sary for an as­so­ci­a­tion to sub­mit copies of meet­ing min­utes, fi­nan­cial re­ports or regis­ters of mem­bers or com­mit­tees.

The re­port is more or less just a check­list for both the as­so­ci­a­tion and us to as­sess whether you are still op­er­at­ing as per the re­quire­ments of the As­so­ci­a­tions In­cor­po­ra­tion Act, 2015.

It is also a great way to for­mally con­firm the con­tact in­for­ma­tion for the as­so­ci­a­tion.

If you are a mem­ber of a club, so­ci­ety or as­so­ci­a­tion that is ac­tive, en­cour­age your com­mit­tee to sub­mit its in­for­ma­tion state­ment. If you were a mem­ber of a club or group that you know no longer ex­ists or op­er­ates, con­tact Con­sumer Pro­tec­tion and let us know that the group is no longer op­er­at­ing.

You can do this by com­plet­ing an on­line form at com­merce.wa.­das­soc or email as­

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.