Overseas adaptors a harm risk
There have been two local cases recently where consumers reported receiving electric shocks from power adaptors that came with appliances they’d purchased from websites.
Consumer Protection is now working with EnergySafety to warn the WA community about unsafe adaptors (overseas plug converters) that may come with electrical products bought via the internet.
One that caused recent electric shocks is a travel adaptor with multiple pin options.
When the Australian pins are plugged into a power board, two exposed pins designed for the United Kingdom are able to be touched — those pins are live at 240 Volts; enough voltage to cause serious injury or death.
The risk exists when the pins are in the unlocked position and fully protruding, but also when the user has remembered to lock them because even in the recessed position the ends of the pins can still be touched.
If you receive, or already have, an adaptor supplied with electrical goods purchased online or bought while overseas, be suspicious about its electrical safety. Have it checked by an electrician before use.
Better still, buy an adapter from a reputable local retailer because adaptors sold here must be approved for use in Australia.
Anyone in possession of unapproved adaptors from overseas should destroy and dispose of them immediately.
If you are going overseas you can buy safe travel adaptors in Australia.
You can see our adaptor warning videos on the Consumer Protection Facebook or YouTube page.