Video flags kids’ in­jury causes

Pilbara News - - Lifestyle - Gwyn­neth Hay­wood Gwyn­neth Hay­wood is the senior re­gional of­fi­cer for Con­sumer Pro­tec­tion Pil­bara di­vi­sion.

Con­sumer Pro­tec­tion has col­lab­o­rated with Westlink TV to pro­duce a video ti­tled Home Safety for Baby, which aims to help pre­vent child­hood ac­ci­dents or fa­tal­i­ties through in­creased aware­ness about po­ten­tial haz­ards.

In­juries are the lead­ing cause of death in Aus­tralian chil­dren aged 1-14, ac­count­ing for nearly half of all deaths in this age group. More chil­dren die from in­jury than can­cer, asthma and in­fec­tious dis­eases.

Many of th­ese deaths and in­juries can be pre­vented, and rais­ing aware­ness about safety in the home is a key part of this.

De­signed for any­one who cares for ba­bies and young chil­dren, the video is avail­able on the Con­sumer Pro­tec­tion WA YouTube chan­nel and web­site at dmirs.wa.gov.au/child-safety.

The video fea­tures rep­re­sen­ta­tives from Kid­safe WA, the Royal Life Sav­ing So­ci­ety of WA and Red Nose, as well as Con­sumer Pro­tec­tion’s prin­ci­pal prod­uct safety of­fi­cer Luke Ea­ton, with top­ics cov­ered in­clud­ing safe sleep­ing, cur­tain and blind cords, but­ton bat­ter­ies, se­cur­ing fur­ni­ture and us­ing child car-seats.

Par­ents and car­ers are usu­ally well aware of safety is­sues such as en­sur­ing chil­dren are re­strained in a car seat or that they are su­per­vised around wa­ter, but some less ob­vi­ous haz­ards cov­ered in­clude the dan­gers posed by fur­ni­ture fall­ing on chil­dren.

Na­tion­ally, up to two chil­dren die each year from th­ese kinds of in­juries, and the video in­cludes tips about se­cur­ing haz­ardous items such as cab­i­nets and tele­vi­sions, as well as ad­vice to con­tact your land­lord about at­tach­ing de­vices such as brack­ets if you are rent­ing.

Re­cently, the Coro­ner’s Court of Western Aus­tralia heard about the tragic cir­cum­stances of a child who was crushed to death when a chest of draw­ers, which was not se­cured to a wall, fell on top of him.

Another less well-known po­ten­tial haz­ard comes from but­ton bat­ter­ies.

Th­ese bat­ter­ies are found in items such as keys, re­mote con­trols, flashing ob­jects and kitchen scales, and can cause chok­ing or se­ri­ous ill­ness. Up to 20 chil­dren each week end up in emer­gency de­part­ments in Aus­tralia with a but­ton bat­tery-re­lated in­jury.

So items with th­ese bat­ter­ies need to be out of reach of ba­bies, and the bat­tery com­part­ments should not be able to be opened by a child.

A tips sheet is avail­able for view­ers to re­fer to af­ter watch­ing the video to help in tak­ing ac­tion at home to im­prove safety for ba­bies.

The link to the sheet is in the in­for­ma­tion be­low the video on YouTube and also on the web­site.

Any par­ent or carer who needs fur­ther in­for­ma­tion, or re­quires as­sis­tance in get­ting per­mis­sion from a prop­erty man­ager or land­lord to safely an­chor fur­ni­ture, should con­tact Con­sumer Pro­tec­tion on 1300 304 054 or email con­sumer@dmirs.wa.gov.au.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.