Peel wins se­cond flag in a row


Pinjarra Murray Times - - FRONT PAGE - Bryce Luff

PEEL Thun­der have gone back-to­back af­ter de­feat­ing Su­bi­aco by 16 points to claim the fi­nal ever WAFL de­cider at Su­bi­aco Oval on Sun­day.

In a tight match where nei­ther side led by more than 13 points un­til Grif­fin Logue’s goal on the fi­nal siren, the Thun­der called on both class and des­per­a­tion to claim their se­cond suc­ces­sive premier­ship over the Lions, 11.6 (72) to 7.14 (56) in front of 18,180 fans.

Thun­der de­fender Luke Ryan claimed the Simp­son Medal, judged best on ground for his star­ring role down back.

Ryan fin­ished with 23 dis­pos­als and nine marks and was one of nu­mer­ous con­trib­u­tors to the win.

Vet­eran Danyle Pearce fin­ished with 25 dis­pos­als and eight in­side 50s.

Traye Ben­nell recorded 20 dis­pos­als and Rory O’Brien 19.

Leroy Jetta and, Tommy Sheri­dan both fin­ished with two goals, each scor­ing near iden­ti­cal snaps late in the match when ex­tra qual­ity was needed to keep Peel in front.

Tall for­ward Matt Taberner also booted two goals.

Su­bi­aco for­ward Ben Sokol threat­ened to be the match win­ner with his four-goal per­for­mance.

Cap­tain Kyal Hors­ley worked tire­lessly to fin­ish with 32 dis­pos­als, seven tack­les and seven in­side 50s.

Out­go­ing Docker Zac Daw­son was pushed for­ward early in the piece and had the AFL-laden Thun­der off to a great start when he snapped the first goal of the game. He had a hand in the Thun­der’s se­cond too, hand­balling off to skip­per Ger­ald Ugle who kicked straight to have the 2016 pre­miers off to a flyer.

The Lions kicked their first ma­jor through Sokol on 11 min­utes when he was able to guide home a float­ing ball from 45m out.

Taberner hit back soon af­ter, bury­ing a long-range ef­fort to re­store his side’s two-goal lead.

The rain fore­cast prior to the week­end then hit hard to re­strict much of the play to be­tween the 50m arcs, with both sides strug­gling to take any sort of ad­van­tage in the slip­pery con­di­tions.

Clancy Wheeler slot­ted his first goal late in term one to en­sure the com­pe­ti­tion’s top side through­out the home and away sea­son were within one kick at the first change.

Peel for­ward Leroy Jetta was first to hit the score­board in the se­cond term, mak­ing use of what lit­tle space he had to snap neatly and give the Thun­der a 10-point buf­fer.

The teams then traded blows on the score­board, with util­ity Sheri­dan find­ing space to kick his first and Sokol de­liv­er­ing two more ma­jors to keep Su­bi­aco be­hind by three points at the long change.

Christo­pher Phe­lan, who had 12 dis­pos­als for Su­bi­aco to half­time, con­verted a free kick from 45m out to give his side the lead for the first time in the match be­fore Sokol was able to slot his fourth.

It took un­til the 23rd minute but Peel fi­nally got on the board through Josh Deluca.

The Thun­der then had their se­cond barely a minute later when Taberner got on the end of a pass from Pearce af­ter he had bro­ken from the cen­tre bounce.

Taberner con­verted his se­cond for the match and sud­denly it was a one-point ball game.

Taylin Du­man drew first blood in the last quar­ter when he toed through his first of the match af­ter be­ing set-up by a long kick from Taberner.

Wheeler put Su­bi­aco back in front when he slot­ted from 35m out af­ter a nice build up from his Lions team­mates.

Pic­ture: Kelly Pil­grim-Byrne

Peel cel­e­brates back-to-back WAFL grand fi­nal wins.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.