Carnivale parade to remain on Macrossan
CARNIVALE organisers say the street parade will stay in Macrossan St following overwhelming public feedback favouring the status quo.
About 90 per cent of more than 100 responses had voted to keep the street party at its existing location after the community was asked to consider relocating Carnivale’s main event to Wharf St last week.
Chamber of Commerce president Ken Dobbs said the decision to not change the route meant organisers could now focus on the task of ensuring the street party was the “biggest and best ever”.
“Those advocating change had legitimate safety concerns and we will be addressing that problem as best we can by looking at options to encourage the crowd to spread along the full length of the parade,” he said.
One proposal was moving some of the food stalls and entertainment to prevent the “bunching up” of spectators at certain points on Macrossan Street.
“We will consider slightly changing the focus away from the town centre to around the corner in Wharf St to ease that congestion,” he said.
Organisers also were committed to working with traders to minimise the impact of street closures on May 20 when the “Douglas Wonderland” parade was set to go ahead.
“In the past, we closed the whole street from 6am to avoid a situation where parked cars get stuck and potentially prevent the street parade from proceeding,” he said.
“It may well be we could have one half of the street or keep it open until midday, these are things we need to consider.”
Dates have now been confirmed for some of the other key events including the Longest Lunch, also on May 20, Food, Wine and a Taste of Port ( May 21) and the Beach Day (May 28).
The Food Fight and Palates of Port also remain on the agenda for this year.