Electric ants infestation
A CRAIGLIE resident has reported electric ants in the Douglas region after being bitten more than a dozen times on his property.
Iron Bar entertainer Nick Gibson was stung by the venomous ants two weeks ago while tidying the garden around his swimming pool.
“I was stung dozens of times on my stomach and it felt like I was on fire,” he said.
“I didn’t know what to do so I jumped in the pool because it was so painful.”
The tiny ginger-coloured ants are approximately 1.5mm long and can inflict a painful sting by injecting venom causing itchiness and a severe allergic reaction.
Mr Gibson was concerned for his three daughters, five-year-old Hannah, three-yearold Karla and one-year-old Chelsea.
“I know how painful it was for me so I can’t imagine how painful it would be for one of the kids, especially our baby,” he said.
“We reported the ants straight away to the Department of Environment and Resource Management (DERM) who came out the next day to spray them.”
Electric ant eradication program coordinator Corey Bell said biosecurity officers inspected the site and found a heavy infestation in the yard and inside the house.
“We have so far identified nine infested properties, and the edge of a nearby stormwater drain is infested as well,” she said.
“We baited the area immediately to prevent further impact on local residents. We will continue to inspect the neighbouring properties to determine the full extent of the infestation before completing treatment to kill the ants.”
Residents are urged to report suspicious ants to Biosecurity Queensland on 13 25 23.