Plenty of life in Kye despite near-fatal bite
KYE Dalton is an energetic and friendly two-year-old who has forgotten all about his ordeal on Boxing Day when a 4m amethystine python tried to eat him.
Kye was throwing and catching the ball with his mum Rachael Sullivan, who had his older brother Tyiese, three, on her lap when the ball went behind her.
“Kye’s my very uncoordinated little man and he chucked the ball behind me and ran to grab it about a metre-and-a-half behind me,” Rachael said.
“He screamed - when you hear a kid scream you know the difference between a tantrum and a terrified ’something’s wrong’ scream.
“I turned around and the snake was already in the proc- ess of wrapping around Kye so I’ve gone to Kye and tried to rip the snake off.
“It was very quick and wrapped up to his chest and I was a completely hysterical mad woman ripping at the snake but by that point and I could get it to move at all and I realised I couldn’t do it.”
A hysterical Rachael, who lives on Coral Drive Rd, picked up Kye and the 4m python, which had bitten his left leg, and ran onto the road screaming for help.
Neighbour Scott Tunnie managed to grab the snake off Kye around it’s head while his fiancé Xena Reeves, a police officer, called the paramedics.
The python started wrapping around Scott’s arm and neighbours Mark and Aaron came and helped remove the python, which had constricted.
“Kye went straight into shock, as soon as the snake was off he didn’t cry or anything he just kept saying, ’Mummy, a big snake bit me’.”
Kye passed out for 30 seconds on the way to the Mossman hospital and was there for three hours before being transported to Cairns Base Hospital. Along the way he was throwing up and stopped breathing.
“He got swab tests done and x-rays and he was fine after that, but apparently it’s not very common for people to be bitten by pythons because we had all of the med students and all of the nurses coming in to have a look at the bite,” Rachael said.
Luckily for little Kye, he only suffered scarring from the bite and bruises around his spine but no serious damage and has since forgotten about anything other than being bitten by a “big snake”.
This is not the first snake bite for the small family, with older brother Tyiese bitten by a venomous snake when he was younger at Cooya Beach.
Rachael is grateful both her boys are okay and are aware to walk away from snakes and warns other parents to just be aware of how quick a snake can attack a child.
“I think around here everyone knows about snakes but its more we’re worried about the small venomous ones and not the large ones that are going to take a child,” she said.
“You cannot prevent a situation like that but being aware that this situation can happen, if I heard the story I’d have rolled my eyes and said who cares but is completely different when it’s your own child.”
All good: Kye is safe with big brother Tyiese looking after him (inset) the snake bite