Plenty of life in Kye de­spite near-fa­tal bite

Port Douglas & Mossman Gazette - - NEWS - AN­GELIQUE PAT­TER­SON

KYE Dal­ton is an en­er­getic and friendly two-year-old who has for­got­ten all about his or­deal on Box­ing Day when a 4m amethys­tine python tried to eat him.

Kye was throw­ing and catch­ing the ball with his mum Rachael Sul­li­van, who had his older brother Tyiese, three, on her lap when the ball went be­hind her.

“Kye’s my very un­co­or­di­nated lit­tle man and he chucked the ball be­hind me and ran to grab it about a me­tre-and-a-half be­hind me,” Rachael said.

“He screamed - when you hear a kid scream you know the dif­fer­ence be­tween a tantrum and a ter­ri­fied ’some­thing’s wrong’ scream.

“I turned around and the snake was al­ready in the proc- ess of wrap­ping around Kye so I’ve gone to Kye and tried to rip the snake off.

“It was very quick and wrapped up to his chest and I was a com­pletely hys­ter­i­cal mad wo­man rip­ping at the snake but by that point and I could get it to move at all and I re­alised I couldn’t do it.”

A hys­ter­i­cal Rachael, who lives on Coral Drive Rd, picked up Kye and the 4m python, which had bit­ten his left leg, and ran onto the road scream­ing for help.

Neigh­bour Scott Tun­nie man­aged to grab the snake off Kye around it’s head while his fi­ancé Xena Reeves, a po­lice of­fi­cer, called the paramedics.

The python started wrap­ping around Scott’s arm and neigh­bours Mark and Aaron came and helped re­move the python, which had con­stricted.

“Kye went straight into shock, as soon as the snake was off he didn’t cry or any­thing he just kept say­ing, ’Mummy, a big snake bit me’.”

Kye passed out for 30 sec­onds on the way to the Moss­man hos­pi­tal and was there for three hours be­fore be­ing trans­ported to Cairns Base Hos­pi­tal. Along the way he was throw­ing up and stopped breath­ing.

“He got swab tests done and x-rays and he was fine af­ter that, but ap­par­ently it’s not very com­mon for peo­ple to be bit­ten by pythons be­cause we had all of the med stu­dents and all of the nurses com­ing in to have a look at the bite,” Rachael said.

Luck­ily for lit­tle Kye, he only suf­fered scar­ring from the bite and bruises around his spine but no se­ri­ous dam­age and has since for­got­ten about any­thing other than be­ing bit­ten by a “big snake”.

This is not the first snake bite for the small fam­ily, with older brother Tyiese bit­ten by a ven­omous snake when he was younger at Cooya Beach.

Rachael is grate­ful both her boys are okay and are aware to walk away from snakes and warns other par­ents to just be aware of how quick a snake can at­tack a child.

“I think around here ev­ery­one knows about snakes but its more we’re wor­ried about the small ven­omous ones and not the large ones that are go­ing to take a child,” she said.

“You can­not pre­vent a sit­u­a­tion like that but be­ing aware that this sit­u­a­tion can hap­pen, if I heard the story I’d have rolled my eyes and said who cares but is com­pletely dif­fer­ent when it’s your own child.”

All good: Kye is safe with big brother Tyiese look­ing af­ter him (in­set) the snake bite

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.