Night tiger takes bite
A SEVEN-YEAR-OLD boy was bitten by a night tiger snake while playing in the grass at a Port Douglas caravan park.
The boy, who was visiting with his family from Western Australia, felt a bite on his lower leg around 7.30pm on Tuesday and received first aid on the scene from the managers of the park while waiting for the emergency services.
Port Douglas ambulance Officer-in-charge Craig Downing said the managers followed the correct procedure - except for capturing the snake.
“A compression bandage was applied by the caravan park managers, which was very effectively done and we then continued with advanced first aid ambulance measures,” he said.
“They did a good job, the bad job they did is they captured the snake - you’re just putting yourself and the paramedics at risk trying to capture it.
“It was an angry and fast two-metre snake, identified by the tiger stripe down the side and known to be aggressive - it was not happy to be confined.”
The snake was captured in a bag and placed into a container where it jumped straight back out and Craig said it was lucky there were no other people bitten.
“Don’t try to capture the snake, the identification of a snake is useful but we can get the identification from the venom,” he said.
“We don’t want people to take the risk of getting bitten and we don’t want to see these animals killed either just because we live in their habitat.
“Parents and visitors need to be aware that snakes are more active at night, if a child is playing in an unfamiliar area, be aware of the risk.
“We live in tropical Far North Queensland - we’re going to get snakes.”
The boy was transported to Mossman hospital without incident and then on to Cairns Base Hospital for further observations.