Light­ning hits pool cleaner

Port Douglas & Mossman Gazette - - NEWS -

MOSS­MAN lo­cal Sam Parkes re­ceived an elec­tric shock from a light­ning strike while clean­ing a pool near Miallo last week.

Work­ing as a pool ser­vice and main­te­nance man with Five Star Pool Ser­vice for around three years, it was just an av­er­age work day for Sam last Wed­nes­day af­ter­noon as he grabbed the alu­minium pool pole to clean out the de­bris.

There was a bit of a light­ning storm in the area around an hour ear­lier but Mr Parkes said he never saw the light­ning which caused the shock.

“I didn’t see it, I don’t know if it hit the pool, pole or the ground near me but it went straight through my hand which was hold­ing the pole and straight down through my feet,” he said.

“I was in pain only when it hap­pened, but I wasn’t in any pain af­ter­ward and I didn’t get any burns from it.”

This is the first time Mr Parkes has ever re­ceived an elec­tric shock from a light­ning strike and said he has never heard of it hap­pen­ing to other pool clean­ers. But he has learnt his les­son. “Knock off if there’s light­ning,” he said.

“I prob­a­bly shouldn’t have been out there with an alu­minium pole in my hand.”

The Queens­land Am­bu­lance Serv- ice ad­vises peo­ple to be ex­tremely care­ful when work­ing out­doors at this time of year with thun­der ac­tiv­ity.

“If some­one is struck by light­ning they should call for emer­gency am­bu­lance as­sis­tance im­me­di­ately and peo­ple should be pre­pared to do life­sav­ing mea­sures such as CPR if re­quired,” Port Dou­glas Am­bu­lance Ser­vice of­fi­cerin-charge Craig Down­ing said.

“Light­ning and all elec­tri­cal burns can of­ten not be as ev­i­dent on the ex­ter­nal part of body but can cause dam­age in­ter­nally.

“Any­one who does re­ceive some elec­tri­cal shock should seek med­i­cal as­sis­tance.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.