Weather robs Dragons

Port Douglas & Mossman Gazette - - SPORT -

THE Verri In­dus­tries Dou­glas United Dragons match against South­side was aban­doned on Sun­day evening fol­low­ing tor­ren­tial rain that made the pitch un­playable. The decision was made just af­ter the South­side had taken a 2-0 lead. As yet it re­mains to be seen what will hap­pen with the game. As it stands South­side have been awarded the points although Dou­glas is push­ing for the match to be re­played.

If the match is to be re­played, the Dragons will have to pro­duce a much im­proved per­for­mance against a very young and quick Fury side. The Dragons could have been be­hind af­ter as lit­tle as five sec­onds in the match as South­side waltzed through some pa­per thin Dou­glas de­fence be­fore shoot­ing just wide.

It should have served as a warn­ing to the play­ers, yet they still did not set­tle al­low­ing South­side the free­dom of Fretwell Park to run at the de­fence and cause prob­lems. The op­po­si­tion were par­tic­u­larly threat­en­ing down their left-hand side with Jack Miller re­ceiv­ing a tor­rid work­ing over at right back.

It was the South­side left­sided player who fi­nally made the dom­i­nance tell, slid­ing in at the far post to con­vert af­ter he had been played on­side by the Dragons’ de­fence. And it was only poor fin­ish­ing that kept the score at 1-0 go­ing into the half time break. Con­sid­er­ing how poor the Dragons had been, they were not with­out chances of their own.

Matty Smith could quite eas­ily have had two penal­ties but seemed to pay the price yet again for try­ing to stay on his feet un­til he has his legs taken out from un­der him by which time the ref­er­ees seem to think he has taken a dive, while Ian Marsh had a good chance with a header that went wide.

Some stern words at the break re­sulted in the Dragons com­ing out with more in­tent in the sec­ond half, pass­ing the ball a lit­tle bet­ter than in the first pe­riod.

Still they were be­ing caused prob­lems by the pace of the op­po­si­tion at­tacks. With the rain wors­en­ing and the prospect of the game be­ing aban­doned, the Dragons’ de­fence went to sleep as a ball that was head­ing wide of the goal stopped in a pud­dle and was forced home by a South­side player to make the score 2-0.

Mo­ments later, as a Dou­glas player slipped and hurt him­self the ref­eree con­sulted the two cap­tains and the game was aban­doned. It re­mains to be seen whether it is a re­prieve for the Dragons who will be hop­ing for a chance to atone for their in­ept 60-odd min­utes of foot­ball. With the next four fix­tures against teams that are likely to fig­ure heav­ily in the top four reck­on­ing, there needs to be a mas­sive im­prove­ment in ef­fort and par­tic­u­larly at­ti­tude to en­sure the team re­mains com­pet­i­tive so that the Dragons them­selves are push­ing to play fi­nals foot­ball at the busi­ness end of the sea­son.

Af­ter a two-week break, United re­serves headed into game three of the sea­son against a very good In­n­is­fail side look­ing to move on from the de­feat they suf­fered to Edge­hill just be­fore the break.early on, with both teams seem­ingly hes­i­tant to take con­trol of the game, not many chances fell the way of ei­ther team but as the first half went on, it was Dou­glas who carved open a few op­por­tu­ni­ties with some very sound wing play by Ja­son Fox who had an im­pres­sive de­but for Dou­glas.

But un­able to take ad­van­tage of the chances that fell to the play­ers it re­mained 0-0 un­til late on in the first half when a great through ball by Dar­ren Case gave Daniel Houghton the chance to de­liver a de­cent cross but it was an own goal from an In­n­is­fail player that made it 1-0.

Half way into the sec­ond half In­n­is­fail got a free kick on the edge of the box. It was de­liv­ered with great ac­cu­racy and found a de­cent fin­ish about six yards out to tie the game at 1-1. Dou­glas now head to Ather­ton for game four of the sea­son.


Call­ing the shots: Eu­gene Brown po­si­tions play in the Dragons re­serves game on Fri­day

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.