John Fran­cis Wild

Port Douglas & Mossman Gazette - - NEWS -

JOHN Fran­cis Wild was born in the Sun­ny­side Hospi­tal, at Mur­willum­bah, on Novem­ber 28, 1929, and like a lot of men of that era, moved around af­ter leav­ing school to pur­sue work or ad­vance their fledg­ling ca­reers.

John loved to tackle ev­ery­thing he took on with gusto and made sure that he gave ev­ery­thing his best shot.

His first job when he left school was in the men’s wear sec­tion of Wilkinson’s Depart­ment Store which al­lowed him to buy the clothes he would need when he was to later start his ca­reer with the Sav­ings Bank Syd­ney.

His first fort­nightly wage from the bank, in 1947, was just $11.95.

One of his first jobs in the bank was that he had to, ev­ery Mon­day, af­ter ev­ery­one else had gone home, empty and wash all the ink wells (both blue and red) and come to work early on Tues­days and re­fill the ink wells and place them on all the desks around the of­fice and in the public ar­eas with fresh blot­ting pa­per.

Then in 1952, in spite of his re­quest to re­main in the coun­try, John was trans­ferred to the Com­mon­wealth Sav­ings Bank in Martin Place - to­day, one of Syd­ney’s busiest thor­ough­fares.

Then in the 1980s his wife, Oriel, de­cided that they should sell their home and move to Port Dou­glas which had a pop­u­la­tion of only 800 peo­ple.

The cou­ple bought a home in Mud­low Street for $75,000.

Af­ter the cou­ple did a num­ber of jobs, John was then hired by Barry and Di Mcginn to run the accommodation apart­ment The White House at the corner of Mowbray and Gar­rick streets. He did this for 12 years.

And in 1988 he was asked by a lo­cal businessman, Grant Lawrence, would he be in­ter­ested in be­ing a found­ing mem­ber of the Ro­tary Club in Port Dou­glas un­der the spon­sor­ship of the Ro­tary Club of Moss­man. He ac­cepted and the club fea­tured heav­ily in his life for many years.

In 1990 John was made pres­i­dent of the Port Dou­glas Ro­tary Club and he said that this was one of the best times of his life be­cause it af­forded him solid in­volve­ment in the com­mu­nity which was some­thing that was dear to him as well as “giv­ing me the op­por­tu­nity to meet a lot of peo­ple from all over the world, and to make the many friends I would not have even met if not for the club”.

John passed away peacefully at Ozcare, in Port Dou­glas on April 5, aged 82 years. He is sur­vived by his wife Oriel, and he is the loved fa­ther and fa­ther-in-law of Michelle, Greg and Fran­cie, Matt and Tina, and Tim and grand­fa­ther of Danny, Ju­lian, Chris­tian, Pia and Pablo.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.