Ambos urge stinger safety
PARAMEDICS are urging swimmers to exercise caution at local beaches and watch out for potentially dangerous marine life after a spate of recent incidents.
Mossman paramedic David Kain said four people have been stung in Port Douglas by the potentially deadly irukandji jellyfish in the past four months along with a number of incidents involving box jellyfish and stingrays.
“In the past month alone, paramedics in the Port Douglas and Mossman areas have been called to a number of cases involving stings from the potentially deadly irukandji jellyfish, as well as injuries from extremely painful stingray barbs,” Mr Kain said.
“We encourage people to enjoy the Port Douglas beaches, but it is important to remain aware of the dangers you can encounter in the ocean.
“We just want people to know these animals are out and about even as winter approaches.”
Mr Kain also stressed the importance of treating stings quickly and correctly.
“Don’t let the victim rub the sting, but do douse the affected area with vinegar, and if possible, apply cold packs to the affected area,” he said.
“In more severe cases, the victim’s breathing and heart may stop. In this case, phone 000 immediately and commence CPR, which is the best chance of survival.”