Dragons fall to Earth af­ter drub­bing

Port Douglas & Mossman Gazette - - SPORT -

THE Verri In­dus­tries’ Dou­glas Dragons have been brought crash­ing back to earth fol­low­ing a 4-0 thump­ing at the hands of Le­ichardt on Sun­day evening.

The Dragons were pun­ished for a num­ber of ba­sic er­rors through­out the match but were not with­out their own chances. Un­for­tu­nately, it is the Dragons’ third away loss of the year in three matches and they need to look to turn around their away form to try and match the form the side is show­ing at Cas­sowary Park.

The Dragons were slow out of the blocks and found them­selves be­hind early on af­ter a sloppy pass putt a Le­ichardt for­ward through on goal. The Dragons’ de­fence was un­able to get back in time to put pres­sure on and he was able to fin­ish past Gary Fitzger­ald in the Dou­glas goal.

It could have been much worse for Dou­glas when first Tither and then twice Marsh were caught in pos­ses­sion. Luck­ily Fitzger­ald was in good form and along with some last ditched de­fend­ing from Ben Syrett and Jor­dan But­terss man­aged to keep the score­line at 1-0.

The Dragons be­gan to get them­selves into the game and even be­gan en­joy­ing pe­ri­ods of dom­i­nance.

The best chance of the half fell to Matty Smith whose shot struck the bot­tom of the post and went out of play for a goal kick fol­low­ing good play from Syrett and Ciaran Lemon.

The sec­ond half mir­rored the first with the Dragons hav­ing their fare share of pos­ses­sion, while the same sloppy mis­takes be­ing made that were putting the Dragons’ de­fence un­der pres­sure.

Twice the Dragons were caught in pos­ses­sion and this time Le­ichardt were not in the mood to ig­nore the Dou­glas char­ity, mak­ing no mis­take to ef­fec­tively put the game be­yond the Dragons in the space of 10 min­utes. The ic­ing was put on the re­sult when sub­sti­tute Dar­ren Case brought down an op­po­si­tion player in the box with the player dust­ing him­self off and slot­ting home the penalty - the final score was 4-0.

It was a dis­ap­point­ing re­sult for the Dragons who now have a string of away games un­til un­til June 3. As a re­sult of join­ing with JCU in or­der to com­pete in the Premier League the club’s next two “home” fix­tures are be­ing played at JCU.

Paddy’s Bar man-of-the-match went to John Raf­faele who worked tire­lessly up top in what is likely to be his last ap­pear­ance for the Dragons.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.