Dragons dom­i­nate the Fury

Port Douglas & Mossman Gazette - - SPORT -

THE Verri In­dus­tries’ Dou­glas United Dragons have soundly beaten the South­side Fury on Satur­day night to keep pace with the top four sides in the Far North Queens­land Premier League.

The 5-2 score­line was ev­i­dence of the Dragons’ dom­i­nance through­out the match although the team was un­happy to con­cede two goals, es­pe­cially one very late on in the match.

The Dragons handed de­buts to two players and both ac­quit­ted them­selves very well with Matt Hill, in par­tic­u­lar, im­press­ing in the mid­dle of the park where he linked well with cap­tain Nick Tither who pulled the strings and al­lowed the Dragons’ at­tack­ers the chance to put the op­po­si­tion un­der plenty of pres­sure.

The Dragons started brightly, pass­ing the ball well and caus­ing prob­lems down both flanks although the fi­nal piece of qual­ity was prov­ing elu­sive un­til Nick De­spress cut in from the left and un­leashed an un­stop­pable shot into the bot­tom right hand cor­ner, and soon af­ter it was 2-0 when Nick Tither rose to meet Lo­gan Marsh’s free kick and head home to dou­ble the Dragons ad­van­tage.

The Dragons con­tin­ued to press look­ing for the goal that would knock the stuff­ing out of South­side but it was the vis­i­tors who scored next in some­what far­ci­cal fash­ion.

A shot found its way un­der Gary Fitzger­ald and into the bot­tom cor­ner only to pass through a hole in the net and have a goal kick awarded.

The South­side players were un­der­stand- ably fu­ri­ous and had the ref­eree in­spect the net who then awarded the goal.

This sparked five min­utes of mad­ness where a Dragons’ player was flagged for off­side but stopped his run. The South­side players, think­ing the whis­tle was go­ing to be blown played the ball to Ian Marsh, who could not be­lieve his luck, and lobbed the ball past the de­spair­ing keeper to re­store the Dragons’ two-goal cush­ion.

The mes­sage at half time was sim­ple - get the next goal and the fight would go out of South­side and this proved to be the case.

It was a while com­ing though with Matty Smith hit­ting the post be­fore sub­sti­tute Ja­son Fox lashed the ball home from 16 me­tres.

It was soon five when Ian Marsh grabbed his sec­ond of the game, his shot tak­ing a healthy de­flec­tion be­fore find­ing the back of the net.

The only blot on the Dragons’ sec­ond-half per­for­mance came late when the op­po­si­tion got in be­hind the de­fence and the striker made no mis­take to give the fi­nal score of 5-2.

There was no short­age of Man-of-the­Match can­di­dates with both debu­tants im­press­ing, Ian Marsh had his best game for a few weeks, Matty Smith and Nick De­spress both worked tire­lessly on the flanks but the Paddy’s Bar Man-of-the-Match went to both Nick Tither and Valen­tine Akem.

Tither made the team tick in the mid­dle of the park and re­ally got un­der the skin of the op­po­si­tion, while Akem was a colos­sus at the back.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.