Mum to the rescue
MOWBRAY nurse Beth Salleras saved the life of her cute and fluffy albino guinea pig by giving the tiny pet mouthto-mouth resuscitation after a three-metre python had “squeezed the life out of her”.
The drama unfolded when Bella’s daughter Fauve, 10, was awoken around 4.30am last Thursday by the Snowflake’s frightened squeals, and ran to find the guinea pig being strangled by a large python.
She immediately alerted her parents, both medically trained, who ran downstairs to try and save the furry family pet.
“My husband Steve rushed to secure the snake, covered it’s head and we released Snowflake, once we got her out of the snake’s grip she was just lying there limp and lifeless,” Beth said.
“While he held the snake Steve, who is a doctor, instinctively urged me to give mouth to mouth and my immediate response was to reply, ’Are you serious’.”
Without further hesitation Beth, certified in CPR, fastened her mouth over Snowflake’s mouth and nose, administered a couple of breathes and then started compressions.
“I administered CPR as I would similar to a newborn baby,” she said.
“After giving breathes and doing compressions she gave a few breathes, but her breathing was very, very raspy.
“We didn’t know if she’d be okay, so we moved her box to our room to keep an eye on her and prayed for the best - she seems to be perfectly fine now.”
Daughter Fauve is very pleased to have her beloved pet in one piece.
“I’m so glad I woke up that night,” she said.
“As soon as Snowflake got over her initial shock, she came running straight to me for cuddles.”
QUICK-THINKING: Nic-Nak Shed co-ordinator Mel Boon
TO THE RESCUE: Beth Salleras and daughter Fauve with Snowflake