Saved a life today
A MAN who was bitten by a deadly brown snake after retrieving a basketball from a drain has Mel Boon from the Port Douglas Neighbourhood Centre to thank for saving his life.
The man, 28, was playing basketball when the ball took off and rolled down into a drain, on the edge of the vacant block that was to be the community garden, and as he bent down to retrieve the ball the snake lunged at him and bit him on the left arm last Tuesday.
He saw the snake and knew he had been bitten and quickly walked over to the Port Douglas Neighbourhood Centre and asked the person in reception to “call me an ambulance please - I’ve just been bitten by a brown snake and does anyone know first aid”?
It was then that the staff member raced and found Mel, the Nic Nak Shed co- ordinator to come and help him.
“I couldn’t believe it because I had only just updated my first aid course recently and received further training for a whole lot of different things that might happen,” Mel said.
“So I sat him down and asked to remain as calm as possible and I placed a pressure bandage over the bite and wound the rest of the bandage as far as I could up the rest of his arm.
“I think a big thing that helped to save his life was that he was young and that he was also very fit, I mean brown snakes are deadly and I would hate to think what would have happened if it was a child or a woman who was bitten.
“And the main contributing factor was that the ambos were here in five minutes and then a second ambulance turned up just in case it was needed too - so we gave him the best care we could and promptly.”
The man was then taken to the Mossman hospital where he was given anti-venom and then later flown by helicopter to the Cairns hospital for further observation.
He had a complete recovery and was released from hospital the next day and returned especially to Port Douglas to thank Mel for “saving my life”.
“It’s the first time ever that anything like this has ever happened to me and I am so glad that I had received my updated first aid training because I’m sure it helped me to keep calm too, but more importantly allowed me to do what I had to do to help him,” Mel said.