Found alive de­spite smoke

Port Douglas & Mossman Gazette - - FRONT PAGE -

ONE woman is count­ing her bless­ings af­ter be­ing found un­con­scious in her smoke­filled unit.

About 12.30am on Wed­nes­day night, a cou­ple of guests of the Port Dou­glas re­sort were alerted by the sound of a fire alarm go­ing off and could smell the smoke.

They lo­cated the unit, forced the door open and dragged out the un­con­scious woman, while con­tact­ing the emer­gency ser­vices to re­port the smoke com­ing out of the unit.

The cause of the smoke was a pot left unat­tended on the stove top.

Paramedics took her to hos­pi­tal where she was treated for smoke in­hala­tion and Port Dou­glas aux­il­iary cap­tain Louie Leone said this was a good re­minder for peo­ple to make sure their fire alarms work.

‘‘Work­ing smoke alarms warn peo­ple and save lives, it’s been proven over and over,’’ he said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.