Crocs plough on

Port Douglas & Mossman Gazette - - CLASSIFIEDS -

THE Port Dou­glas Crocs Football club has made a strong start to its foray into this sea­son’s fi­nal se­ries with wins for both se­niors and re­serves

The Se­niors man­aged to over­come the Cut­ters in their first semi- fi­nal 11- 18- 84 to 8-11-59 and the Re­serves were too strong for the Tigers in their sec­ond semi-fi­nal en­counter, with a fi­nal score of Crocs 13-11-89 de­feat­ing the Tigers 5-13-43.

In the Se­niors match the Cut­ters kicked with the aid of a strong wind and man­aged to break out to a four goal lead by con­trol­ling most of the play.

They teamed bet­ter, led to the ball and reaped the re­wards.

To the Crocs’ credit they re-grouped and booted five goals in the sec­ond quar­ter and got them­selves back in the hunt with a tenpoint lead at the long break. In the third quar­ter the Cut­ters made good use of the wind, drilled through four goals to the Crocs’ one and snatched the lead back.

A five goal to nil scor­ing spree told the tale. Coach Brad Cooper did an ex­cel­lent job in set­tling the boys down af­ter an in­dif­fer­ent dis­play early and his tac­ti­cal moves paid off. Dy­lan Wear­mouth, Adam Boone and Ben McCart­ney got on top in de­fence.

Ben Saun­ders, Brett McKe­own and Kurt Brad­shaw led the surge for­ward through the mid-field and Kaza and Ben Young were dom­i­nant up for­ward. Joel Lawlor, in ar­guably his best game of the sea­son, put the ic­ing on the cake by sprint­ing out of de­fence and let­ting loose a long bomb which goaled.

Nine play­ers shared the goal-scor­ing which showed how well the en­tire group teamed to­gether.

The Re­serves game which was played un­der lights in driz­zling rain was a hard slog­ging no-ques­tions-asked af­fair. The Crocs had first use of the wind, but the Tigers out-scored them three goals to two, and the Crocs knew there was plenty of work to be done. By half­time things looked dire for the Crocs as the Tigers had a 17-point break which was sig­nif­i­cant in a low-scor­ing game. Coach Heff ral­lied his troops at half- time and the boys re­sponded mag­nif­i­cently.

A six goal to one ef­fort in the third quar­ter handed the lead to the Crocs for the first time in the match.

The last quar­ter was a tri­umph for the Crocs as they rat­tled on five goals to nil even though they were kick­ing into the breeze.

It was a great ef­fort by such a young team and their dis­ci­pline never wa­vered.

It was a great team ef­fort with ev­ery­one con­tribut­ing to the win.

Next week the Se­niors play the Tigers at Cazaly’s in a must-win pre­lim­i­nary fi­nal - the match starts at 3pm.

The Re­serves go straight through to the grandfinal which will be played at Cazaly’s the fol­low­ing Satur­day.



Crocs took the game to the Cut­ters

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.