Crocs bow out

Port Douglas & Mossman Gazette - - CLASSIFIEDS -

THE PORT Dou­glas Crocs Re­serves staged a bril­liant last quar­ter come­back at Cazalys on Satur­day, but just fell short in their at­tempt to lift the Premier­ship Cup.

In the grand fi­nal against the Tigers, Heff’s youth­ful team slammed on seven goals to three for the quar­ter and fin­ished just 14 points adrift af­ter look­ing like a shot duck at three-quar­ter time.

The match was played in very warm con­di­tions with a swirling breeze.

Some of the younger Crocs looked a lit­tle over-awed early but steady play by Sam Evans in de­fence; Matt Gard com­pet­i­tive in the ruck; Chase­ley Nandy tack­ling well and Mitch Ni­chol­son show­ing com­mand­ing poise in the mid­field, helped the Crocs pre­vent the Tigers from con­trol­ling the game. Corey Barter and Sam Brewer were also do­ing well in de­fence; Alex Forbes was mov­ing the ball well into the Crocs’ for­ward area; Jack Lowe popped a nice pass to Bucket McLeod and Harry Wilkie dobbed the Crocs’ first ma­jor. By quar­ter time there was only one goal in it.

In the sec­ond quar­ter Max Pe­track turned back many Tigers for­ward thrusts and Chad Ber­tram was play­ing his usual gutsy game as an on-baller.

The Crocs had fre­quent use of the ball but found scor­ing dif­fi­cult. The game was a ding­dong, see-saw­ing bat­tle. Mitch Boehm kicked ac­cu­rately to keep the Crocs in the con­test.

The Crocs team-work im­proved as the game pro­gressed and their short pass­ing be­came more ac­cu­rate. Heath Wil­lis was prom­i­nent; Ethan McCul­lough was fly­ing for marks and Aaron Marks booted a great goal.

At the half-time break the 16 point deficit was not in­sur­mount­able and the large con­tin­gent of Crocs sup­port­ers re­mained op­ti­mistic.

Los­ing Josh Mor­ri­son, who had been play­ing a great game, to in­jury in the third, didn’t help and the Tigers outscored the Crocs for the term by four goals to one.

Liam Edwards, Jimmy Astill and Joey But­ler were all hav­ing a red-hot go and Ja­cob Pearce was play­ing a great quar­ter of football but the Crocs’ scor­ing op­por­tu­ni­ties were just not there.

Zorba Bar­nett got a rous­ing re­cep­tion from the crowd when he en­tered the fray.

The three-quar­ter time score­board showed the Crocs six goals in ar­rears and it ap­peared to be all over.

The man­ner in which coach Heff’s boys hurled them­selves into the con­test in the last quar­ter will stay in the mem­ory for a long while. They out­ran their op­po­nents and brushed tack­les aside in their en­deav­our to bring home the Cup for their club. It was not to be.

The team has to be con­grat­u­lated for per­form­ing so well right through the sea­son.

Crocs 13- 6- 84 were de­feated by Tigers 14-14-98.



Re­serves af­ter grand fi­nal day

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.