Blanket vital to safety
THE community is being reminded to make sure it is prepared in case of a fire, after one distracted tenant’s home was saved only by quick action and preparedness.
Port Douglas Fire Service was called to a Warner St property last Friday around 1.30pm, after reports of a kitchen fire.
Thanks to the quick action of the tenant and neighbours armed with a fire extinguisher and fire blanket, the fire was contained until the fire service arrived.
Port Douglas Fire captain Louie Leone said even with the quick action, the fire was still not fully extinguished.
‘‘(But) their actions slowed the fire from spreading, minimising the damage to the house,’’ he said.
‘‘The fire was confined to the kitchen and only the electrical stove was lost.
‘‘Accidental kitchen fires are very common and a fire blanket when used correctly can help extinguish a fire.
‘‘By placing them over pots or other cooking utensils, for example the oil in the fry pan, the fire blanket over it will reduce and stop the oxygen to the fire, stopping it from spreading, and extinguishing the flames.’’
But people are reminded to never remove the fire blanket until they are 100 per cent sure the fire is out and to call 000 as soon as possible.
Having a working domestic size fire extinguisher in the home can also help save life and property.
And of course, the best tool that any home can have is a working fire alarm.
For more information and tips visit www.fire.qld.gov.au