T20 teams slug it out in the Big Bash arena

Port Douglas & Mossman Gazette - - SPORT -

THE past two weeks has seen some qual­ity cricket played by some of our tal­ented res­i­dents who would not look out of place in a Muddies uni­form.

Last fort­night’s games saw the Four Mile Fal­cons take on the Port Roy­als in a close fought bat­tle. The Roy­als bat­ted first and were go­ing steady un­til the Fal­cons showed their bowl­ing and field­ing prow­ess to take some great catches.

The wick­ets then flowed steadily from here with qual­ity fast bowl­ing.

The runs kept tick­ing over for the Roy­als but with speed on the field, the Fal­cons were able to chase the ball down and pre­vent most bound­aries. The Roy­als ended up post­ing 78.

The Fal­cons then teed off early, look­ing to make short work of the chase, but when the Roy­als snared a few poles the cracks be­gan to show for the Fal­cons show­ing their vulnerability down the or­der. How­ever, they con­sol­i­dated and worked the ball around even­tu­ally pass­ing the Roy­als to­tal with a few overs to spare.

The Sher­a­ton team took to the crease first against the B Team Blasters. With the Sheros start­ing to tick the run rate over, Golden Arm Keith Tay­lor came on and dis­missed their key bats­man, caus­ing a slump.

The bowl­ing picked up and the B Team were able to re­strict Sher­a­ton to 95, but not be­fore No. 1 Dan Red­fern dis­patched No. 2 Keel Sorensen to the bound­ary for six.

The B Team’s chase was held to­gether with solid, pa­tient bat­ting from Mark Barnes and Ran­dal Smith.

Once Mark Barnes was re­moved, the re­main­ing B Team bat­ters stuck to­gether to grind out the win with only 1 over re­main­ing.

Last week­end had the Fal­cons again on Fri­day night, this time tak­ing on Sher­a­ton. In a game rem­i­nis­cent of the pre­vi­ous Fri­day, the Fal­cons dis­played en­thu­si­asm, en­joy­ment, cel­e­bra­tion and field­ing an­tic­i­pa­tion rarely seen in cricket nowa­days. Their en­joy­ment is in­fec­tious and makes for an en­ter­tain­ing night.

Sher­a­ton ground out a sub 100 score with a solid bat­ting per­for­mance.

The Fal­cons started com­fort­ably but were found out a lit­tle with the loss of wick­ets but then grafted away at the score, pass­ing the to­tal again with a hand­ful of overs left.

The B Team then man­aged to scrape to­gether 11 play­ers to play against the Raiders af­ter not play­ing for two weeks. Sammy ‘Bigshow’ Evans, with an or­di­nary man bun opened the in­nings but didn’t last long.

Ben V came and went with a quick fire 30, al­low­ing the B Team to then score with­out pres­sure be­ing 57 af­ter 5 overs. Ran­dal Smith again bat­ted well, as did Mark Barnes.

In a well spir­ited game, the Raiders were dis­missed af­ter pass­ing the 100 mark.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.