Dragons suf­fer a loss

Poor per­for­mance ver­sus Dim­bu­lah

Port Douglas & Mossman Gazette - - CLASSIFIEDS CLASSIFIEDS -

THE Dou­glas United Dragons have lost for the first time in the league in over a year go­ing down 2-1 to Dim­bu­lah on Fri­day night af­ter a very poor per­for­mance. There were many con­tribut­ing fac­tors to the de­feat in­clud­ing sloppy prepa­ra­tions but ul­ti­mately it came down to at­ti­tude and Dim­bu­lah sim­ply wanted it more.

Ar­riv­ing at the ground with only fif­teen min­utes to kick off was never go­ing to be ideal with a com­bi­na­tion of fac­tors de­lay­ing the Dragons de­par­ture from Port. A slow start en­sued al­though Max Tay­lor did have a glo­ri­ous op­por­tu­nity to open the scor­ing but could only sky his ef­fort high and wide. There were many un­der hit passes on a slow sur­face and one such pass from Luke Seaton led to the open­ing goal. The back pass put keeper Joe Bownes un­der pres­sure and al­though he came out bravely the ball fell kindly to the Dim­bu­lah striker who calmly slot­ted into an empty net.

The Dragons man­aged to crank it up a few gears from this point and were hav­ing par­tic­u­lar joy with Dan Fer­rero as an out­let down the right hand side. It was some good in­ter­play be­tween three or four Dragons that saw Baz Fel­lows find space in the box. The big man kept his com­po­sure and tucked the ball away to re­store par­ity. While the Dragons con­tin­ued to dom­i­nate play they could not find the sec­ond goal.

The sec­ond spell saw more of the same in the ini­tial ex­changes with the Dragons creat­ing the bet­ter of the chances while still re­main­ing vul­ner­a­ble to pace on the counter at­tack. Then a mo­ment of mad­ness changed the game as the afore­men­tioned com­po­sure de­serted Fel­lows who was shown a straight red card for re­tal­i­at­ing to hav­ing a ball thrown at him. This forced the Dragons into a bit of a reshuf­fle with Gavin Jenkin lead­ing the line.

The Dragons carv­ing out a cou­ple of guilt edge chances. First, Luke Seaton failed to no­tice and un­marked Lo­gan Marsh who had the goal at his mercy, in­stead firing straight at the keeper and then Jenkin could not man­age to squeeze the ball be­tween the keep­ers legs when through one on one.

The Dragons were left to rue their these and a cou­ple of other half chances as a floated cross from Dim­bu­lah struck the join of the goal and re­bounded of Bownes and into the back of the net. It was very harsh on the keeper who had been out­stand­ing all game, even bravely car­ry­ing on af­ter be­ing knocked out for a short time. Un­for­tu­nately the Dragons were un­able to muster a re­sponse this time.

The Man of the Match award went to Joe Bownes who was out­stand­ing in goal and un­lucky to con­cede the two goals that he did. Luck­ily the Dragons have two op­por­tu­ni­ties to put things right this week.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.