CEN­SUS DAY NO BIG DEAL IN POR­OUS DATA WORLD

Port Douglas & Mossman Gazette - - LIFESTYLE -

Cen­sus day! With the changes to data dis­posal re­quire­ments for the ABS, our de­tails (with our names) will be held al­most as long as the gap to the next one.

I’d be worried about the gov­ern­ment hold­ing on to all my de­tails, but it seems they al­ready know ev­ery­thing any­way.

Name, re­li­gion, my health, my ad­dress, my work­place – this in­for­ma­tion is tucked away in mul­ti­ple places through­out our mono­lithic gov­ern­ment.

Even pri­vate health doesn’t pro­tect you – my mother re­cently re­ceived a call from a char­ity as­so­ci­ated with a pri­vate hospi­tal af­ter treat­ment re­quest­ing do­na­tions.

A num­ber they’d have had to lift from her med­i­cal records.

I don’t trust my de­tails with face­less groups as much as the next per­son, but

to look on the bright side – at least this data grab will make for some wicked spread­sheets when the ABS re­lease it all in mid-2017.

Luke Theobald, Port Dou­glas

sec­tor.

It’s a recipe for dis­as­ter for our com­mer­cial fish­ing sec­tor and will lead to se­ri­ous re­gional job losses and small busi­ness clo­sures right along the coast.

Min­is­ter Don­ald­son is at the bot­tom of the Cabi­net peck­ing or­der and I doubt she’s had much in­put into the key is­sues, par­tic­u­larly the stated tar­get change from hav­ing a sus­tain­able catch that ef­fec­tively leaves 30 – 40 per cent of fish stocks to a new tar­get that leaves 60 per cent.

I doubt the Min­is­ter has dis­cussed this with the com­mer­cial fish­ing stake­hold­ers and par­tic­u­larly com­mer­cial fish­ers and seafood busi­nesses in her own elec­torate.

The com­mu­nity has the right to know and un­der­stand the im­pact this pol­icy will have on them.

Con­sumers also have the right to know whether they will be forced to eat more im­ported seafood as a re­sult of this pol­icy.

Dale Last, Shadow Fish­eries Min­is­ter

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.