SHOCKING RAPE CASE ALLEGATIONS
A MAN charged over a violent and prolonged rape of a woman in Mossman allegedly made her drive him home after the attack.
The 20-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has been charged with six counts of rape, one count each of attempted rape and deprivation of liberty and two counts of enter premises with intent.
It is alleged the man, who is a Mossman local, broke into the victim’s house around 5.30am on Sunday morning while she was sleeping and raped her a number of times.
The pair were not known to each other.
The Port Douglas and Mossman Gazette understands he then allegedly ordered her to take him home.
The case has shocked local authorities who said the woman had been left deeply traumatised over the incident.
She required treatment in Mossman Hospital and was later being discharged.
Detectives launched an investigation into the incident and took the man into custody some time later. He was charged on Sunday afternoon and remanded in custody.
His case was mentioned for the first time in the Cairns Magistrates Court on Monday where he appeared in the prisoner dock but did not speak.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Services solicitor Wes Seewald said he would not be making an application for bail on his client’s behalf and asked for the case to be adjourned. He asked for the case to be sent to a committal callover “because of the nature of the charges” as the case will likely need to be heard in a higher court.
Police prosecutor Sgt Troy Sutton presented an application for disease testing which was granted by Magistrate Robert Spencer.
The case was adjourned until October 26.