Dive operators seek better way
Plan to tackle incidence of reef deaths
DIVE industry stakeholders will meet with Industrial Relations Minister Grace Grace later this month to develop a plan to reduce the visitor death toll on the Great Barrier Reef.
It comes as Quicksilver Cruises revealed one of its passengers was in a stable condition in Cairns Hospital late last week , after being pulled unconscious from the water while snorkelling at Agincourt Reef on Monday.
The 75-year-old Chinese woman - who had been equipped with a life jacket, lycra suit, and had been snorkelling along a safety line - is the third person this week to come into strife during a Far Northern reef trip.
A 43-year-old woman who was pulled from the water at Green Island on Wednesday remained in a stable condition in Cairns Hospital on Thursday.
The family of a 63-year-old UK tourist who died while on a snorkelling tour at Moore Reef on Wednesday is expected to arrive in Cairns on Friday.
The man is the sixth person to die on the reef since November last year.
Minister Grace said she was saddened to hear of yet another tragic death on the reef.
“Our aim is always to ensure holiday makers and visitors can experience the reef safely and return home to their families,” she said.
The Minister late last year agreed to a major review of safety in Queensland’s dive sector, including the introduction of a waiver for snorkellers aged over 60, confirming they were aware of increased risks with the activity.
Queensland currently has the highest recreational water safety standards in the country, with regulations applying to both diving and snorkelling.
Ms Grace said all issues regarding reef safety would be on the table at the Reef Safety Roundtable meeting, which would be held in Cairns on February 22.
Police carry away dive equipment from a reef vessel following the death of an English tourist