Spice up your weeknight dinners with these healthy, flavour-filled meals
These classic Asian dishes are big on healthy flavour. So grab your chopsticks!
THAI CHICKEN STIR-FRY WITH CASHEWS & CHILLI JAM SAUCE SERVES 4 HANDS-ON 10 MINUTES COOK 10 MINUTES
100g baby corn
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
500g boneless skinless chicken thighs 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 red chillies, thickly sliced 2 red capsicums
1 onion, sliced in half moons
50g roasted cashews
Thai or regular basil and steamed rice, to serve CHILLI JAM SAUCE
2 tablespoons Thai chilli paste or nam prik
(available in Asian grocers)
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
Juice 1 lime
4 tablespoon oyster sauce
1. To make the chilli jam sauce, in a small bowl mix together all the ingredients and set aside.
2. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Blanch baby corn for 2 minutes, then drain, rinse under cold water and drain again.
3. Heat a large wok until very hot and add half the oil. Cut the chicken into 3cm pieces. In batches, brown the chicken pieces, leaving them for 2–3 minutes on one side initially so they take on a nice golden colour. Stir-fry until golden on all sides, another minute or so, then transfer to a bowl.
4. Heat the remaining oil in the wok. Add the garlic and chilli and keep the heat on medium so they don’t burn. Stir-fry for 1 minute or so until golden.
5. Cut the capsicums into thick pieces and then add with the onion, cashews and baby corn. Heat for 1 minute, then pour in the chilli jam sauce and add the chicken. Stir-fry until everything is heated through and the chilli jam sauce is thick. Serve the stir-fry with steamed rice and basil sprinkled over.
NUTRITION (per serving) 1611 kJ/385 cal. Protein 30.5g. Saturated fat 3.7g. Carbs 19.2g. Fibre 6.9g. Sodium 2599mg.