Serves 4-6 people
• 1kg good quality chuck steak
• Bottle of French red wine (750ml)
• Bay leaf
• 4 cloves of garlic
• 2 brown onions
• 2 sticks of celery
• 2 medium carrots
• 2 tablespoons of olive oil • 1 cup of beef stock
• 2 sprigs of thyme
• 2 large carrots
• 125g of unsalted butter
• 500g of button mushrooms
• 250g piece of streaky bacon
• 2 tablespoons of plain flour
1. Cut the steak into 5cm pieces and place in a large bowl that will fit in the fridge.
2. Pour over the wine and add the bay leaf, two of the garlic cloves, and one each of the onions, celery sticks and medium carrots, all roughly chopped.
3. Cover and leave in the fridge to marinate overnight if possible or at least two hours.
4. The next day, take the meat out of the marinade and strain the marinade liquid into another pan. Bring the liquid to the boil then simmer until reduced by half.
5. Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC.
6. Finely chop the remaining garlic, onion, celery and medium carrot.
7. Brown the meat in batches in a heavy-based ovenproof casserole dish and set aside on a plate.
8. Sauté the vegetables until translucent, then add the meat and all the juices back into the casserole dish.
9. Pour over the reduced wine marinade, beef stock and add the thyme.
10.to 180ºC.Place in Cookthe ovenfor two and hours reduceor untilthe temperaturethe beef is tender and falling apart.
11. Half an hour before the beef is ready, chop the large carrots into 3cm pieces and add to the beef. Return to the oven.
12. Season to taste.
13. When the beef is done, place half the butter in a frying pan and sauté the mushrooms then set aside.
14. Cut the bacon into 1cm thick pieces and fry in a pan until crispy then set aside on paper towels.
15. In a small bowl, combine the remaining butter and flour into a thick paste.
16. Take the beef and vegetables out of the casserole dish and, over a low heat, gradually add the butter whilst whisking a little at a time until the sauce starts to thicken.
17. Once it has thickened, add the beef mixture back to the pan along with the mushrooms and bacon.
18. Serve with mash potato and steamed greens.