It is surprisingly easy to whip up these delicate, melt-in-the-mouth delights – just right for afternoon tea!
Preparation: 1o min Baking time: 15 min Difficulty: Easy
• 200g unsalted butter, softened
• 1tsp vanilla extract
• 1 cup caster sugar
• 3 eggs
• 2 ½ cups self-raising flour, sifted
• ½ cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC or 160ºC fan-forced.
2. Line muffin or mini-muffin trays with paper cases.
3. In a small bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter, vanilla extract and caster sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition (the mixture will look like it has separated).
4. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in half the flour and half the milk. Repeat with remaining flour and milk until all of the ingredients are combined. Do not over mix.
5. Spoon the mixture into the muffin tray lined with paper cases. Use about 1/3 cup of mixture for large cupcakes or 2 level tablespoons of mixture for mini cupcakes.
6. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until the mixture springs back when touched.
7. Stand cakes for two minutes, transfer to a wire rack to cool and decorate as desired.
Easy Buttercream Icing Ingredients
• 125g butter, softened
• 1 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
• 1 tablespoon milk
Using an electric mixer, beat butter in a bowl until pale. Gradually add icing sugar mixture and milk, beating constantly until combined.