Chocolate & Coconut Turkish Delight
470ml water 400g sugar 60g cornflour (cornstarch) 5g unsweetened (Dutch) cocoa ½ teaspoon cream of tartar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 20g desiccated coconut
● Line an 18cm square tin with plastic wrap.
● Pour 200ml water into a saucepan and add sugar. Place over medium heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Insert a sugar thermometer, raise heat and cook until the syrup reaches 120°C.
● Meanwhile, pour the remaining water into another saucepan, add cornflour, cocoa and cream of tartar and stir well ensuring that there are no lumps. Place over heat and bring to the boil, stirring until the mixture thickens and is smooth. ● Once syrup reaches 120°C, remove from heat and slowly add to cornflour mixture, whisking constantly until combined. Return to heat. Gently simmer for 30–35 minutes, stirring all the time. The mixture will turn smooth and thicken. Stir in vanilla extract and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
● Spoon into prepared tin and level the top. Cover with more plastic wrap and cool at room temperature for at least 6–8 hours, preferably overnight.
● Peel off plastic wrap and sprinkle with coconut. Turn out, cut into small pieces and roll in more coconut. Dry overnight. Store for up to 2 weeks.