Burn­ing al­lowed with some re­stric­tions

Seymour Telegraph - - NEWS - By Ali­son O’Con­nor The Fire Dan­ger Pe­riod has lifted, mean­ing res­i­dents can burn-off with­out per­mits, but there is still some re­stric­tions.

The Fire Dan­ger Pe­riod (FDP) of­fi­cially con­cluded yes­ter­day morn­ing.

The Fire Dan­ger Pe­riod has been in ef­fect since Oc­to­ber, al­low­ing the CFA to re­strict the use of fire in the com­mu­nity to help pre­vent fires from start­ing.

The amount of rain, grass­land cur­ing rate and other lo­cal con­di­tions have all been taken in to ac­count in the de­ci­sion to end this sea­son’s Fire Dan­ger Pe­riod.

Now that the Fire Dan­ger Pe­riod is lifted, res­i­dents can burn-off with­out per­mits, but there is still some re­stric­tions.

Res­i­den­tial and semi-ru­ral res­i­dents can only burn-off on Wed­nes­days and Satur­days be­tween 10 am and 3 pm, or a per­mit is re­quired out­side of these days and times.

In ru­ral ar­eas, burn offs are al­lowed any day of the week.

Mitchell Shire Mayor Rhonda San­der­son said res­i­dents should fol­low lo­cal laws when burn­ing off.

‘‘We un­der­stand that res­i­dents may need to burn-off on their prop­er­ties from time to time. It is im­por­tant that peo­ple ad­here to these sim­ple lo­cal laws to make sure a fire doesn’t get out of con­trol,’’ Cr San­der­son said.

‘‘If a burn-off is re­quired out­side of these pa­ram­e­ters, please con­tact coun­cil and ar­range a per­mit.’’

Per­mits are free and can be ob­tained by phon­ing 5734 6200 or go to www.mitchell­shire.vic.gov.au

CFA Hume re­gional com­man­der Ste­wart Krelt­szheim re­minded res­i­dents that were think­ing about burn­ing off to check con­di­tions and reg­is­ter their burn-offs.

‘‘Ev­ery year our brigades get more and more frus­trated at the num­ber of false alarm calls they have to re­spond to as a re­sult of peo­ple not do­ing the right thing,’’ he said.

‘‘Be aware that any calls to Triple Zero about smoke in the air at par­tic­u­lar lo­ca­tions are cross-checked with the burn-off reg­is­ter. When noth­ing is listed fire­fight­ers are re­quired to at­tend.

‘‘So if you haven’t reg­is­tered your burn you can ex­pect some dis­grun­tled fireys ar­riv­ing at your prop­erty ask­ing you to ‘please ex­plain’.’’

Landown­ers can reg­is­ter their burn-off by phon­ing 1800 668 511 or email­ing burnoffs@esta.vic.gov.au


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.