Electrical fault sparks tractor fire
Three Country Fire Authority crews attended and contained a tractor fire on Thursday at Numurkah.
CFA units from Numurkah, Waaia and Kaarimba attended the incident on Betts Rd, which happened about noon.
The tractor’s owner Denis Garner said no-one was injured when the 100 hp CLAAS Ares 566 tractor had an electrical fault.
‘‘It just started underneath the cabin and just went,’’ he said.
‘‘On a total fire ban they all come running.
‘‘I had just dropped a trailer off in the paddock and went to pick up another one.
‘‘It was lucky that the trailer wasn’t loaded with hay. It happened at the right time as it could have been a lot worse.’’
CFA District 22 operations officer Travis Harris agreed.
‘‘It was quite lucky that there wasn’t a lot of wind, which allowed crews to rapidly attack it and put it out.’’
Mr Harris said the fire was not suspicious but urged the community to take extra care and caution during the hot weather.
‘‘Simple activities can be extremely dangerous, even mowing lawns can start a fire quite easily,’’ he said.
Burnt out . . . CFA units from Numurkah, Waaia and Kaarimba attended a tractor fire on Betts Rd, Numurkah on Thursday. Picture: Madeleine Caccianiga