Wipe away your troubles
The windscreen washer/wiper system is probably the most neglected component in the car’s make up and can be a contributing factor in accidents.
A few basic rules can minimise the way that the system contributes to an accident and can help you drive safely.
• Do not wipe a dry screen. Dust accumulates on the screen through static build up and wiping it not only causes the wiper blades to wear but scratches the screen surface.
• Use the windscreen washers, particularly in light rain and even if you have an intermittent wiper system.
• When the car is cleaned, wash the wiper blades as well because insects and other things can make the blades adhere to the windscreen.
• When filling the washer bottle add a screen cleaner, don’t use washing up liquid. Grease and oil gets on the screen and needs a solvent to prevent smear.
• Always clean the screen when you fill up as this saves wear and tear on the wipers.
• Finally, replace those blades once a year. Remember, replacing the blades even before they wear out, is less costly than replacing a screen.
For more advice on anything automotive. Contact Darryl Twitt Ford on 5821 9477 or call in at Benalla Road Shepparton.