TARA’S TOP 10 NEW BOOKS
1. BRIEF ANSWERS TO THE BIG QUESTIONS — STEPHEN HAWKING
The final book from Stephen Hawking is a profound, accessible and timely reflection on the biggest questions in science.
2. WHAT WE TALK ABOUT WHEN WE TALK ABOUT RAPE — SOHAILA ABDULALI
Neither a memoir nor an academic study but a deeply personal and meticulously researched rallying cry — and required reading for all.
3. WINX: THE AUTHORISED BIOGRAPHY — ANDREW RULE
Andrew Rule, Winx’s owners, breeder, trainer and rider tell the real story of one of the world’s greatest racehorses.
4. THE NEWCOMERS: FINDING REFUGE, FRIENDSHIP AND HOPE IN AMERICA — HELEN THORPE The Newcomers
follows the lives of 22 immigrant teenagers throughout the course of the 2015–16 school year as they land at South High School in Denver, Colorado.
5. TALES FROM THE INNER CITY — SHAUN TAN
World-renowned artist Shaun Tan applies his unique imagination to a reflection on the nature of humans and animals, and our urban coexistence.
6. THE ARSONIST: A MIND ON FIRE — CHLOE HOOPER
On the day that became known as Black Saturday, one man deliberately lit two fires near the small town of Churchill, Gippsland, then sat on the roof of his house and watched the yames.
7. ROADIES: THE SECRET HISTORY OF AUSTRALIAN ROCK’N’ROLL — STUART COUPE
This is your backstage pass to the hidden side of the music industry — the tantrums, the fights, the tensions, the indulgence, the sex, the alcohol, the drugs. The roadies see it all, and now they are sharing their secrets.
8. NO SPIN — SHANE WARNE & MARK NICHOLAS
The last word on Shane Warne’s extraordinary cricketing career and his life off the pitch.
9. HEROES — STEPHEN FRY
Heroes is the story of what we mortals are truly capable of — at our worst and our very best.
10. BOYS WILL BE BOYS: POWER, PATRIARCHY AND THE TOXIC BONDS OF MATESHIP —CLEMENTINE FORD
The incendiary new book about toxic masculinity and misogyny from Clementine Ford, author of the best-selling feminist manifesto, Fight Like A Girl.