Woman bashed near pub

At­tacker waited out­side for vic­tim to leave venue

South Burnett Times - - NEWS - Jes­sica McGrath Jes­sica.Mcgrath @south­bur­nett­times.com.au

A WOMAN has been left with bro­ken bones and a black eye after try­ing to de­fend her­self from an at­tack in a pub laneway.

Pey­ton O’Fla­herty was given a 12-month pro­ba­tion or­der for the as­sault charge in Kin­garoy Mag­is­trates Court on Novem­ber 5.

Pros­e­cu­tor Pepe Gangemi said the vic­tim was out drink­ing with friends at the Com­mer­cial Ho­tel when she went up to the dance floor with one of her friends on Satur­day, Septem­ber 15.

“She bumped into the de­fen­dant, who then pushed her,” Sgt Gangemi said.

“Se­cu­rity staff in­ter­vened and O’Fla­herty was re­moved from the pub.”

Sgt Gangemi said the 21-year-old woman had then waited in the laneway out­side un­til the vic­tim left the pub when it closed at around 1.20am on Septem­ber 16.

The court heard words were ex­changed be­tween the women out­side.

The de­fen­dant then grabbed the vic­tim by the hair and punched her about three times in the face.

“The vic­tim had then be­gun swing­ing her arms to free her­self be­fore by­standers sep­a­rated the two women,” Sgt Gangemi said.

“The vic­tim sus­tained a bruised and bleed­ing nose, a frac­tured fin­ger, and a black eye.”

The de­fen­dant also re­ceived a black eye dur­ing the in­ci­dent.

Sgt Gangemi said the de­fen­dant had been spo­ken to on the night and was re­ported to be in­tox­i­cated to the point of “past tipsy”.

Mag­is­trate Louisa Pink said the al­co­hol was not an ex­cuse, but the facts sur­round­ing the as­sault were con­cern­ing.

“There seems to be an in­ci­dent on the dance floor, and it’s to­tally dis­pro­por­tion­ate that you should wait in a pre-med­i­tated way and as­sault her as se­ri­ously as you did,” she said.

Ms Pink said the woman nar­rowly missed a pe­riod of im­pris­on­ment due to her early plea, young age and hav­ing no crim­i­nal his­tory.

“Those are the only rea­sons you are avoid­ing a pe­riod of im­pris­on­ment,” she said.

O’Fla­herty was put on a pro­ba­tion or­der for a pe­riod of 12 months, and must take part in coun­selling.

She was also or­dered to par­tic­i­pate in anger man­age­ment classes, as part of her pro­ba­tion or­der and she will be re­quired to per­form 50 hours of un­paid com­mu­nity ser­vice.

No con­vic­tions were recorded.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.