Slat­tery the star as WASPS women win


Southern Gazette (Belmont) - - SPORT -

WES­LEY South Perth de­feated Vic­to­ria Park Xavier 2-1 in the Women’s Pre­mier 1 Grand Fi­nal on Sat­ur­day to en­sure they went the en­tire sea­son un­de­feated.

West­ern Aus­tralian Hock­ey­roo Kathryn Slat­tery struck twice to earn the vic­tory for her side.

Speak­ing af­ter the game, Slat­tery – who was awarded the Shirley Leece Medal for the Best and Fairest Player – said the vic­tory was tes­ta­ment to how well her side had played all year.

WASPs got off to the per­fect start, with the in­flu­en­tial Slat­tery giv­ing her side the lead af­ter find­ing a yard of space in­side the cir­cle and smash­ing an in­stinc­tive shot which flew into the bot­tom left cor­ner.

Vic­to­ria Park fought back and cre­ated chances of their own, with Rachel Frusher see­ing her ef­fort well saved af­ter 10 min­utes.

But Slat­tery looked a con­stant threat, al­though she was un­able to add to her tally in the first half and head­ing into the break it was still only 1-0.

In the first minute of the sec­ond half, Slat­tery had dou­bled her side’s lead af­ter beat­ing Vic Park goal­keeper and Hock­ey­roo team­mate Rachel Lynch with a smart flick.

Univer­sity of WA are cel­e­brat­ing their first premier­ship tri­umph for a decade af­ter edg­ing Wes­ley South Perth in a thrilling Men’s Pre­mier League Grand Fi­nal.

In the first half, WASPs’ Mur­ray McIn­tyre – who was cel­e­brat­ing his 501st Pre­mier League game – put his side 1-0 with a fierce and in­stinc­tive snap shot which UWA’s goal­keeper Leon Hay­ward got a hand to but was un­able to keep out.

WASPs and Kook­aburra star Trent Mit­ton also had a cou­ple of chances from penalty cor­ners but the UWA de­fence held firm to go into the break only a goal down.

UWA came out strongly in the sec­ond half and be­gan to dom­i­nate pos­ses­sion and cre­ate chances.

Some bril­liant skill from UWA’s Tom Wick­ham al­lowed Seb Ewing to turn the ball over the line to bring the scores level.

De­spite fur­ther chances for both teams, the tie was ul­ti­mately set­tled when Daniel Timms turned home a sweep­ing ball across the face of goal to com­plete the UWA come­back.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.