Salters point to history of suburb
STORIES OF SOUTH PERTH
■ The Name UNTIL March 1990, when Salter Point was listed as a suburb, it was known as Salter’s Point, which can be traced back to the 1840s.
A pioneer family, the Salters, arrived in Australind in 1842 before settling near the Canning Bridge in 1848.
Samuel Salter brought his family to the area with a woodcutting contract, which was connected with the first timber bridge over the Canning River, built in 1849, the year Samuel’s son Samuel Jr. was born.
His daughter Hannah was married in 1873 and eventually moved to Kelmscott. The Salter family remain in the Kelmscott area and a grandson and great grandson of Samuel continue to live in the South Perth area. ■ The Suburb
The State Housing Commission started building in Manning Park in 1949. By 1952, 173 homes were completed.
Sandon Park was named after the first family to move into the area after they won a half-acre lot by ballot in 1947.
Lyndon Lewis was the 2013 City of South Perth and Premier’s Day Australia Day Citizenship Award winner after working with the council to create community stairs to the foreshore from Sulman Avenue, now known as Lyndon’s Ladder.
■ Do you have a story to share? Contact the South Perth Historical Society at info@ southperthhistoricalsociety. org or 9367 9243.
Samuel Salter and wife Mary Ann Louise.